Indiana Jones and Harrison Ford arrive in Cannes Thursday for the world premiere of “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny,” one of the most anticipated shows at the French Riviera festival.
Hats abounded in the crowd of onlookers watching Ford and Company parade on the red carpet.
Ford walked arm-in-arm with his wife, Calista Flockhart, and then joined his fellow cast members as John Williams’ iconic score for the film took place. Attendees included Disney boss Bob Iger, Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy and filmmaker Steve McQueen.
Ford, 80, who has said “Dial of Destiny” will be her final performance as the character, received an honorary Palme d’Or from the Cannes Film Festival. Last year, Cannes honored “Top Gun Maverick” and Tom Cruise in a similar fashion.
Inside the theater, Ford was greeted with thunderous applause. He smiled and looked around before receiving the palm of honour.
“I’m very impressed by it. They say when you’re about to die, you see your life flash before your eyes. I just saw my life flash before my eyes,” Ford said. said after playing a clip of his career.
“A big part of my life, not my whole life,” Ford thanked Flockhart, as well as “Dial of Destiny” director James Mangold and co-star Phoebe Waller-Bridge.
This isn’t the first “Indiana Jones” film to open at Cannes. The fourth installment, “Indiana and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” premiered at the 2008 festival. Critics and fans alike were not very receptive to “Crystal Skull”, but it earned $790 million worldwide.
This time around, ‘Dial of Destiny’ hopes to have the same, if not equal, global impact without its celebrated filmmakers. The new film, which The Walt Disney Company opens in the United States on June 30, is the first “Indiana” movie not to be directed by Steven Spielberg or made with a story by George Lucas. Instead, Mangold (“Ford v. Ferrari,” “Logan”) takes the helm of a film co-starring Waller-Bridge, Antonio Banderas and Mads Mikkelsen.