Its presence induces a change in mood and helps its owners both psychologically and physically.
they say Dog It is man’s best friend, and as the saying was coined at a time when the concept of fragmentation had not even appeared on the horizon, it must be said that it certainly is the same for women. But their company offers something more than friendship. direct health benefits people, regardless of gender.
And we’re not just talking about psychological health, an area in which canine company can the pain of loneliness, the antidote to the pain of loss or just a balm against brakes; We are also mentioning the benefits that it can cause in terms of physical health.
there are studies that confirm The presence of a dog in the house helps its owners to stay in shape, According to research published in the journal gerontologistPeople who walk their dogs have a lower body mass index, are more mobile around the house, see doctors less often, and are more active in general.
Furthermore, there are investigations that conclude that Dog owners have a lower risk of high blood pressure, According to a report published by the American Heart Association, owning a dog reduces the risk of heart disease.
a remedy against depression
beyond certainty that the presence of a dog in the house causes mood swings People who live in it, it is shown that a pet becomes in the house. a remedy against depression, based on the fact that your company exudes a sense of safety and security. ,
But not only that; Humans’ interactions with dogs contribute to low cortisol levels, a hormone closely related to stress. Combined with an increase in the release of oxytocin and serotonin involved in producing feelings of love and happiness in the individual, this helps lower blood pressure.
On the other hand, the way the presence of a dog in the house forces them to assume certain responsibilities and establish certain routines related to their meals and their outings, which are organized in a more systematic way, This is not a simple matter. driving home
Five reasons why owning a dog is beneficial
- Removes stress and depression. Simply looking at or petting a dog can trigger the release of oxytocin in humans, which reduces stress and anxiety. On the other hand, according to a 2019 study conducted by the Indiana University School of Medicine, 15 minutes with a therapy dog significantly reduced anxiety and depression in people receiving ER treatment.
- They help keep you connected. According to various studies, dogs encourage their owners to meet other people and expand their social networks. Plus, people with dogs take out their phones and share photos of their pets just as many people do with their children or loved ones.
- It gives purpose to life. Caring for a dog sometimes plays a role in making elderly people feel needed and loved, especially if they have suffered the loss of someone close to them. Furthermore, it generates a vocation and imposes responsibilities for the day.
- The present, the moment you are. Connecting with a dog during a walk or at a particular time of day can erase projections of the future and nostalgia for the past in one fell swoop to establish an immediate and restorative here and now.
- ease the pain Research has shown that just looking at a dog can release endorphins, which are the body’s natural pain relievers. In this direction, various scientific papers suggest that patients affected by various diseases require less time to recover in case of exposure to therapy dogs.