Thursday, February 9, 2023

Heineken Spain: sustainability at the heart of its mission

Sustainability has been a commitment of Heineken Spain for more than two decades. “Strongly Green”, the roadmap marked by the company, is a sample of the ambition of its projects in which circularity is particularly important within the production chain, from the field to the hands of the consumer, using the minimum possible natural resources, low emissions generate and reduce the generation of waste.

To this end, its objective, with sustainability at its core, incorporates both the environmental sector and social action as two sides of the same coin and focuses on the reduction, reuse and recycling of materials and products. Thus, thanks to their commitment to upcycling, they have already given a second life to more people 200,000 tons by-product, Thanks to the company’s factories in Jaén and Seville, they have already reprocessed 95% of the yeast, bagasse and hydroalcoholic mixture used in the manufacture of beer. In this way, they are turned into fertilizer for the farm, feed for cattle or vinegar for beer.

And besides, Jain’s production plant already has the “0 waste to landfill” seal and operates entirely with renewable energy, 70% from its biomass plant and the remaining 30% solar power from its photovoltaic plant is obtained. , Its factory in Seville also has this seal, something that the factories in Madrid and Valencia will soon achieve, thus making the company’s four factories in Spain certified. And at its plant in Jain, olive pruning residues from the fields have a second life, as they are reused as raw material for the company’s biomass plant in this factory.

All this without forgetting the challenge of eliminating the plastic used in the packaging of its products. Heineken has ambitions to eliminate Spain 1,600 tonnes Ensuring the best solution for this material, reducing both emissions and waste, giving them a life beyond their normal use. the goal is that all your elements packaging are made of 100% recycled content And from sustainable sources, such as the cardboard they already use and come from responsibly managed forests to avoid deforestation.

With this line of work—already implemented at factories in Valencia and Seville and soon to be expanded to Madrid and Jaen—1,300 tons of single-use plastic and 300 tons of plastic rings are removed per year Substituted for some recycled cardboard in beer cans. they have invested in the process seven million euros And that would mean eliminating 50 million rings from production.

The hospitality industry is also included in Heineken Spain’s strategy to reduce the amount of waste. Joining hands with associations such as Ecovidrio and Ecoembes, the use of returnable formats has been maximized, allowing for a 74% of their sales in bars and restaurants in returnable formats, with the company aiming to achieve 81% by 2025.

Water is a limited and essential resource for people and their environment, as it represents 95% of beer and 100% of life. For this reason, the company’s ambition is to maximize the regeneration of the water used in the ancillary processes for brewing its beers. These processes, which the company carries out in its factories, have allowed it to return all the water contained in its beers to the basins of origin, 1,900 million liters of water per year, while it has managed to purify 100% of its sewage. Is. water.

Similarly, the company continues to work with the ambition of using only 2.6 liters of water for every liter of beer brewed in 2025, thus reducing more than half (51%) of the water used in 2008. And of which today, they have already achieved a reduction of 33%.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news