Today, September 19, Mexico once again commemorates together the earthquakes of 1985 and 2017, two natural disasters that have left an indelible mark on the country’s memory. On this day it is important to remember the importance of prevention and preparation for possible earthquakes.
A crucial tool in this effort is activating the earthquake alarm on our mobile devices. That’s why we explain how you can do this on Android and iPhone devices without having to download additional applications.
Enable earthquake alert on Android
- Access your phone’s settings: Swipe down from the notification bar and tap the Settings icon (usually represented by a gear).
- Look for the “Security and Emergency” option: In the configuration menu, look for the “Security and Emergency” option and then “Earthquake Warning.”
- Earthquake Warning: Check there if the earthquake warning option is enabled.
- Additional settings (optional): Some Android devices allow you to configure the intensity or volume of the earthquake alarm. You can adjust these settings to your liking.
Earthquake warnings are active by default. You may not receive notifications for all earthquakes in your region, and such notifications may only be available in supported countries. You could also receive notifications without feeling earthquakes.
Activate earthquake alarm on iPhone
- Access your iPhone settings: Open the Settings app on your device.
- Select Notifications: Scroll down the Settings list and select Notifications.
- Find “Emergency Notifications”: On the “Notifications” page, scroll down until you find the “Emergency Notifications” section.
- Enable emergency alerts: Under “Emergency Notifications,” you will see the “Emergency Alerts” option. Make sure it is activated.
- Set up AMBER and earthquake alerts: Under Emergency Alerts, you can enable AMBER alerts and earthquake alerts. Make sure both options are checked.
Activating the earthquake warning on your mobile phone is a simple action. However, to reduce the chances of this mobile phone function not working, you can download an application specialized in these alerts, such as: E.g. Sky Alert or 911 CDMX.