Food plays an important role in health, excessive intake of trans or saturated fat can increase cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood, an excess of this substance can clog arteries causing blood to circulate freely through the bloodstream which is known as atherosclerosis.
According to the Portal of Health and Medicine Medline Plus This condition is the most common type of heart disease; Furthermore, he says that It is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States.
Portal oilsalbert Mention the benefits of substituting hydrogenated oil for the extra virgin olive oil with which it is usually cooked.
Olive Oil and Atherosclerosis
- The media mention that extra virgin olive oil can be used as a condiment, but it can also be used to make various preparations at home or for frying. this oil; In addition, it brings many benefits for heart health.
- oilsalbert conducted an investigation in which he was able to verify that people who live in industrialized countries and who frequently consume processed foods have a higher risk of clogging of their arteries, on the other hand, Mediterranean patients and those who In the preparation include olive oil. They have a lower risk of coronary heart disease and even higher levels of their good cholesterol (LDL).
- “Olive oil is hypocholesterolemic: it reduces intestinal absorption of cholesterol contained in food and, given the high content of polyphenols, it “cleans” the blood and blood vessels.
Olive oil and high blood pressure
- When the heart beats, the blood present in this organ is displaced towards the arteries. According to the Portal of Health and Medicine, Medline Plus Blood pressure rises when the heart pumps blood through its beats throughout the body; This process is called systolic pressure. When the heart is at rest, between beats, the blood pressure drops and is known as diastolic pressure. Diagnosis of hypertension requires regular medical check-up of the patient, as this disease usually No symptoms.
- Health professionals recommend that people over the age of 40 check their blood pressure status at least once a year, or more often for those on a high-sodium diet and low in exercise.
- oilsalbert Mentions that olive oil can be a great ally for preventing high blood pressure; As long as it is accompanied by a diet that contains lean protein, prioritize fish and chicken, nuts, low-fat dairy products and high content of fruits and vegetables.
- “Experts propose that by adding just two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to your meal plan on a daily basis, you can lower your blood pressure in as little as eight weeks.”
Olive oil and thrombotic risk
- oilsalbert mentions that extra virgin olive oil contains a protein that has the ability to prevent various coronary conditions, as it inhibits the formation of platelets that trigger a thrombosis; This condition, “in the brain or heart, can lead to stroke or heart attack.”
- “Extra virgin olive oil is a true health elixir, not only because of the presence of phenols, antioxidants and regulators of thrombotic agents. Postprandial oxidative stress to the body is increased by saturated fat, but reduced by monounsaturated fats such as oleic acid.”