Sunday, April 2, 2023

Increase in deaths of Mexican migrants trying to enter US

SAN DIEGO — A new report from the Mexican consulate in San Diego suggests that the number of Mexicans injured or killed trying to cross the border has increased in recent years.

Through surveillance cameras, the Border Patrol captures the way in which undocumented migrants jump and risk their lives to set foot on American soil.

“They are smugglers who put ladders for immigrants to climb over the primary fence and the secondary fence,” said Angel Moreno, a spokesman for the Border Patrol.

Moreno gave TELEMUNDO 20 a tour of the remote area of ​​the Otay Mesa Mountains, where many falls, fractures and even deaths have occurred.

“Specifically, we believe that the increase in deaths and injuries is closely related to the fact that the US government decided to increase the height of the wall from 18 to 30 feet,” said Carlos Gonzalez Gutierrez, the Mexican Consul General in San Diego.

During fiscal year 2022, 42 died trying to cross the Mexican border, according to a new report from the Mexican consulate in San Diego. 41 people died in 2021 and 16 people died in 2020.

There has been an increase of 162% in the last three years.

“We’ve seen an increase, not only in the people that we rescue or that are injured, or the narcotics that we seize, but we’re seeing an increase in the total number of people trying to enter the United States,” Moreno said. are doing, which is growing.”

Statistics from the University of California at San Diego (UCSD) show that at least 646 Mexican citizens were hospitalized or died trying to reach the United States. Of those, only 20% were hospitalized for wall-related injuries, such as dehydration and heat stroke, among others. While the remaining 80% suffered bruises, fractures, lacerations or more severe injuries from falling from the boundary wall.

“We have evidence that these high walls have not been able to stop the flow, but they have increased the number of injuries and deaths,” Gutierrez said.

Those who would like to receive more information or resources regarding their injured or missing family members may request assistance by calling 619-843-6399 or emailing: [email protected]

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Desk
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news