Friday, October 15, 2021

Initiative to clean up the Venice camp brings in 191 people

LOS ANGELES, California – On the last official day of the Encampment to Home initiative to provide a path to permanent housing for people living along the Venice Boardwalk, Councilman Mike Bonin and Mayor Eric Garcetti said on July 30 that 191 people inside was brought.

“A metric by which people judge it is what the promenade looks like, and it’s reasonable, but the measure that really matters is how many people have been brought in and how many lives are changed for the better,” Bonin said.

“It has shown that when people offer real housing, people want to say yes, people want to house.”

Bonin’s Encampment to Home program began on June 28, and his office at the time estimated that about 200 people lived on the boardwalk, where a large camp developed during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The program promises all camp residents who accept shelter a path to permanent housing in an effort to clear the promenade.

Outreach teams with the St. Joseph Center provides department and department services and housing to the camp residents, with the promenade in five zones. The deadline for people to accept accommodation or leave the final zone, from Sunset to Park Avenue, was the morning of July 30th.

Garcetti said on July 30 that if the outreach teams needed a few more days to provide accommodation to those who had not yet accepted, the program could be extended.

Bonin said on July 26 that most people who accepted housing options were temporarily living in motels, that some had moved into a Venice shelter and three had been reunited with the family. Bonin added that 119 people were linked to permanent housing permits, and that St. Joseph Center is looking for available units and landlords who will accept the evidence.

In an e-mail to the voters of July 26, he quotes a man named Moses who was homeless for 11 years and housed with the outreach teams of St.

“I need to get used to having a door and being able to lock the door,” Moses told outreach teams who reported to him, according to Bonin. ‘I will never take the door for granted. If you’re outside, you’re outside … I’m so grateful for this program. ”

Moses lives in a former Venice motel that has been converted into a Project Homekey site and is run by People Assisting The Homeless (PATH).

Together with PATH, the partners of the Encampment to Home program include Safe Place for Youth, Venice Family Clinic, Self Help and Recovery Exchange and CLARE Matrix.

Participating government agencies include the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, the Departments of Public Health, Mental Health and Recreation and Parks, and the Bureau of Sanitation.

Read Also:  Changed race, familiar result: Kenyans sweep Boston Marathon

The outcry over the homelessness crisis in Venice and throughout Los Angeles is a driving force for a recall effort against Bonin launched by people in his district who want stricter enforcement against homeless camps.

On July 28, the Los Angeles City Council finalized approval for an ordinance restricting camps in certain parts of the city.

The ordinance prohibits sitting, sleeping, lying down, storing personal property or obstructing the public road in various ways of the city, including within two feet of a fire hydrant or fire hydrant, or within a foot of an operational or usable entrance or exit, or within 10 feet of a loading path or driveway, or in a manner that interferes with any activity for which the city has issued a permit, or in a manner that restricts accessible passage as required by the Act on Americans with Disabilities, or anywhere in a street, including bike paths.

The ordinance, which Garcetti signed on July 29, also restricts the blocking of public law on the road once the Los Angeles City Council makes a decision to do so, placing signs and giving notice in certain areas.

The ordinance also allows the city to prevent camps for a period of no more than one year in areas considered a continuing threat to public health or safety.

The ordinance was accompanied by a Street Engagement Strategy developed by the City Administration Officer. The CAO recommends that a ‘concentrated engagement process’ be implemented before implementing the ordinance for camps in areas that require a resolution and headings.

Board members Mike Bonin and Nithya Raman voted against the ordinance, and 13 other board members voted to approve it.

‘What’s wrong with this regulation today and why am I voting against it? Because what we do today even improves, tells people who are without a home and without a place where they can not sleep, but it does not tell them where they can sleep. That’s what it’s about to me … where can people go, where can people sleep if they do not have an alternative, ‘Bonin said.

The councilor shared his own experience without sleeping, saying: ‘Some nights I slept in the car, some of the nights when my car was in the shop, I slept on the beach. I can not tell you how much unrest is in your heart when the sun goes down and you do not know where to sleep. I can not tell you how demoralizing and dehumanizing and humble that experience is if you do not know where you are going to sleep. ”

He added that the city has just enough beds to protect 39 percent of the city’s homeless population.

.
News From
The Epoch Times

Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -