Italy has banned the sale of thousands of missile sold to Saudi Arabia and Saudi Arabia (UAE). This decision has been taken by the Italian government because of the involvement of both countries in the Yemen Conflict. Before Italy, the US recently banned the sale of arms to both countries, giving a blow to Saudi Arabia and UAE, considered their evergreen friends. It is worth noting that under the leadership of Saudi Arabia, many Gulf countries including UAE have been fighting a war in Yemen for the last 5 years. Due to this, a humanitarian crisis has arisen in Yemen.
Italy’s Foreign Minister Luigi Di Mao said on Friday, “Today I am announcing that the government has revoked the authorization to export missiles and aircraft bombs to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).” This is a step which we consider to be a peace message coming from our country. For us, respect for human rights is an unwavering commitment. However, the Foreign Minister in his statement did not give the reason for this decision to the Yemen conflict. But when the initial sanctions were imposed in July 2019, then the Yemen conflict has definitely been cited. In such a situation, it is believed that this time too, this decision has been taken in view of the Yemen conflict.
3500 crore rupees agreement for arms
The ‘Italy’s Peace and Disarmament Network’ campaign group described the government’s decision as historic and speculated that the decision would clear a path for repealing more than 12,700 ordinances. The disarmament group said that the blocked sales were part of the agreement made in 2016 for 20,000 missiles worth 400 million euros (about Rs 3500 crore). This agreement was done by the center-left government headed by former Prime Minister Matteo Renji.
Saudi and UAE did not respond
The group said that it wants to eliminate the possibility that thousands of weapons manufactured in Italy will be used on civilians at once and forever. It wants to clarify that the population already facing the brunt of war will not be attacked with these weapons and will not contribute to making their human condition worse. At the same time, so far there has been no response from Saudi Arabia and UAE against this decision of Italy.