LOS ANGELES ( Associated Press) — Canelo Alvarez is hurt after his first loss in nearly a decade, and he’s still angry about everything that happened during the five-year fight and argument with Gennady Golovkin.
Alvarez says he is determined to embody all those bad feelings in a resounding victory over Golovkin when they complete their rivalry trilogy on September 17 in Las Vegas.
The Mexican superstar declared his third fight with Golovkin a grudge match on Friday as he began promoting his performance with a news conference in Hollywood. Alvarez (57-2-2, 39 KO) was upset with light heavyweight Dmitry Bivol seven weeks ago, but guaranteed he would “definitely” punch 40-year-old Golovkin in retirement with a knockout.
“(It would be) very sweet,” said Alvarez. “For me, it’s going to be very satisfying because of everything that comes around this fight.”
Alvarez’s personal dislike for Golovkin seemed horrifically genuine, while Golovkin (42-1-1, 37 KO) downplayed any personal animosity. Neither fighter can deny their rivalry, especially after Canelo’s failed drug test in 2018, involves years of chatter.
“He always pretends to be a good guy in front of people, but he’s a (jerk),” Alvarez said. “He’s the one. I don’t pretend to be nice. That’s who I am. I don’t pretend to be the other person, and he always pretends to be like, ‘Oh, I’m a good guy.’ He is not.”
They have also met in two incredibly close encounters that are one of the best moments of the careers of both fighters. The first bout in 2017 was ruled a divided draw, while Alvarez won the rematch by a narrow majority decision.
Golovkin sought a third fight before Alvarez, but the coronavirus pandemic played a part in Alvarez’s decision to wait four years for the rubber match. Golovkin dismissed Alvarez’s bold statements about the knockout as fighting posture.
“If it’s so personal to him, my question is, why was he postponing (the third fight) for so long?” Golovkin asked through his interpreter. “If it’s personal, you should ask him why.”
Alvarez says this is due to Golovkin’s nonsense talk, especially in languages other than English. Golovkin reacted to his 2018 loss with characteristic calm, but he fought only four times in the ensuing four years, while he sought a chance for redemption and was offered a third fight with Alvarez.
“From an emotional point of view, I have completely cooled down,” claimed Golovkin. “I believe it’s just another fight. But I was still fighting, and he was taking part in golf tournaments. That’s something he should be doing, but it’s around in the weight category.” Jumping, I don’t know.”
Golovkin’s remarks were veiled in Alvarez, whose almost daily golfing habit became a popular thing to blame for his surprising loss to Bivole last month. Alvarez said he won’t stop playing golf at all, but wants to improve the conditioning that left him clearly fatigued during his fight with Bivol.
“He always talks about how I’m scared, I’m running,” Alvarez said. “I’m not fighting the coolest guys out there, (whereas) he’s fighting those Class D fighters. He’s talking a lot about me, so it’s special to me.”
Golovkin will reach super middleweight for the first time in his career for a third match with Alvarez, who holds all four major championship belts at 168 pounds. Golovkin was the long-reigning kingpin of the middleweight division before losing to Alvarez, but he has since reclaimed two belts.
Both fighters live in Southern California. They will meet again on Monday in New York.