Meat-producing giant JBS announced on Thursday that its normal operations at all its global plants have resumed after an attack on ransomware that paralyzes production, adding that it expects any lost meat production to be “fully recovered by the end of next week”.
In a Thursday statement, JBS said all of its plants are now fully operational and acknowledges a “rapid response, robust IT systems and encrypted backup servers” for resolving Sunday’s “criminal cyber attack”.
“The criminals never had access to our nuclear systems, which significantly reduced the potential impact,” said Andre Nogueira, CEO of JBS USA. “Today, we are fortunate that all our facilities around the world are operating at normal capacity, and we are committed to fulfilling our responsibility to produce safe, high quality food.”
White House Deputy Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said on June 1 that the government believed the attack on flyhalf goods on JBS was likely linked to a Russian criminal organization.
JBS said in the statement that lost production will be fully recovered by the end of next week, which will limit a possible negative impact on the company’s producers, consumers and workforce. ‘
In a Thursday statement quoted by The Hill, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) said the cyber attack was unlikely to cause major disruption.
“Our daily market data shows a strong setback in the slaughter of livestock and pigs, which we expect to continue through the week, while the poultry numbers this week are higher than last year. “Overall, the market is moving in the direction of normalization, and if the situation resolves quickly, we do not expect this incident to have a lasting effect on wholesale and retail prices,” the USDA said.
The USDA added that the ransomware incident underscores the vulnerability of a ‘consolidated’ food supply system, while encouraging investment to promote resistance to cyber attacks and make the food system more dispersed.
This comes when the White House warned business leaders in a June 3 letter about the increasing risk of ransomware attacks and urged them to step up their digital security measures.
“The threats are serious and increasing,” said Anne Neuberger, cyber security adviser at the National Security Council, in the letter obtained by media outlets.
‘All organizations need to realize that no business is safe to be targeted by ransom programs, regardless of size or location. Since our homes have locks and alarm systems, and our office buildings have guards and security to deal with the threat of theft, we call on you to take ransomware crime seriously and ensure that your corporate cyber defense fits the threat . ”
Neuberger’s advice to companies includes encouraging them to store data backup offline, ensuring that systems are quickly updated and patched, to strengthen security teams, and to strengthen firewalls between industry networks and the Internet.
The White House warning comes after a number of recent sensational cyberattacks, including one aimed at the colonial pipeline last month, which led to a disruptive shutdown and petrol shortages.