The Associated Press
LOS ANGELES – Dear “Danger!” Eight months after his death! Host Alex Trebek, the daily syndicated quiz show, selected its executive producer, Mike Richards, as Trebek’s successor in the field of celebrity candidates.
But following fan backlash for a selection process in recent weeks, producer Soni called another guest host, actor Mayim Bialik, “Danger!” Primetime and spinoff series including a new College Championship.
In another gesture “Danger!” Devotee, longtime champion Ken Jennings will return as a consulting producer.
Richards “Danger!” Will retain executive production duties for and “Wheel of Fortune,” Sony Pictures Television said in a statement Wednesday. The studio also appeared to defy any idea that it was succumbing to the disappointment that some fans expressed when word leaked last week that Richards would be the pick.
“We already knew we wanted to split the hosting responsibilities and it became very clear that Mike and Mayim were the undisputed choices. They were both at the top of our research and analysis,” said Ravi Ahuja, president of Global Television Studios for Sony Pictures. “We took this decision incredibly seriously.”
This is a breaking story, check back for updates.