03/09/2023 12:52 PM CET
Kimi Räikkönen will try his luck again in American Nascar. The Finn, the 2007 F1 world champion, announced his retirement two years ago, but has now accepted an invitation to race the Project 91 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 at the Circuit of the Americas on March 26.
Räikkönen was already out with this team last year at Watkins Glen, in a rough weekend that started with a bad qualifying that sent him to the back of the grid and finished first in the season due to a crash.
The “Iceman” wanted to try again and chose the Circuit of the Americas, which he knows from his time in F1, winning at this track in 2018. Adding “Watkins Glen was a fantastic experience. I really enjoyed Nascar. I had a lot to learn in a short time, but everything that taught me it was very useful, there was a lot of competition, and everything was a great challenge: now I will compete on the track that I know, so I can progress faster. I want to have fun, but also to do what we can”, emphasizes Kimi.
“I’m sure there are many drivers who would like the opportunity to try Nascar. It’s not the easiest to be offered, but I hope this participation opens some doors in the future to try to attract more opportunities to more Europeans. I’m excited for this,” adds Kimi.
“When we announced Kimi last year, I said he was a global superstar that I had in mind with Project 91. Kimi is a huge fan and is great for Nascar, Trackhouse and I think Kimi also enjoys our races,” said Project 91 Team sponsor Justin Marks.