Kylie Jenner made the statement about her boyfriend Travis Scott’s Houston Astroworld music festival’s death spike, which killed eight concertgoers, including a 14-year-old, and injured hundreds more.
The makeup mogul, who is currently expecting a second child from the hip-hop star, attended the premiere of the planned two-day festival at NRG Park on Friday with the couple’s 3-year-old daughter and sister Kendall Jenner.
Sitting in separate section above the crowdJenner was unharmed when chaos erupted among more than 50,000 attendees as fans threw themselves onto the stage during Scott’s headlining performance in what the authorities called a “mass casualty incident.”
In a note posted to her Instagram story early Sunday morning, Jenner said, “Travis and I are broken and devastated” by the tragedy.
“My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who died, was wounded or suffered in any way as a result of yesterday’s events,” she wrote. “And also for Travis, who I know cares deeply for his fans and the Houston community.”
She continued to defend Scott because of the criticism he continued to speak out during the crowd surge that resulted in a deadly fight despite the crowd’s desperate pleas.
“I want to make it clear that we didn’t know of any fatalities until the news came out after the show and there would be no filming or performances going on in any world,” she added. “I express my deepest condolences to all families during this difficult time and will pray for the healing of all those who have suffered.”
Jenner shared several videos from the event, including a clip that has been removed since then It showed an ambulance trying to force its way through the crowd. The reality TV star was widely criticized for leaving the video on her social media account a few hours after the event.
“The fact that you can see very clearly in Kylie Jenner’s story that SHE WAS FOOTING, as a medical vehicle is trying to pass through the crowd, and no one bothers them, is absurd and shows how blind they are to what is happening,” said one person. wrote on Twitter.
Echoing his previous statements, Scott also addressed the incident in a video posted to Instagram on Saturday, stating that he “could never have imagined anything like this” at his concerts.
“My fans really mean the whole world to me, and I always want to leave a positive experience for them, and anytime I can figure out what’s going on, I stop the show and help them get the help they need, you know?” he said. “I just never imagined the severity of the situation.”
Scott went on to explain that his team is fully cooperating with the investigation of the incident and urged anyone with information about the victims to contact local authorities.
Disturbing videos from the event show people climbing the stage and pleading with the concert staff to stop the show amidst the chaos. While Scott has been criticized on social media for not interfering anymore, the rapper briefly pauses his set a few times to call on location security for help before continuing with his performance.
“There are many unanswered questions,” Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said at a press conference on Saturday, CNN reported. “Over the next few days, several weeks – maybe even more – we will take a closer look at everything that happened, why it happened, what steps we can take to mitigate the impact of these kinds of incidents from happening at any other point in time.”