leaves Mexico; Rain falls in the southwestern US

 leaves Mexico;  Rain falls in the southwestern US

MEXICO CITY ( Associated Press) – Tropical Storm Kay turned into the Pacific off the southwestern border of the United States on Friday, as it brought rain to parts of northwestern Mexico and southern California.

Kee’s eye made landfall as a hurricane near Bahia Asuncion in Baja California Sur state on Thursday afternoon, but quickly downgraded to a tropical storm after returning to open waters.

It had maximum sustained winds of 40 mph (65 km/h) on Friday afternoon and was becoming less settled, so forecasters forecast it to become a low pressure system overnight.

Kay’s center was located about 130 miles (205 km) south-southwest of San Diego, California, and was moving to the northwest at 12 mph (19 km/h).

The storm was expected to initiate a more pronounced westward turn that would carry it further into the Pacific.

The US National Hurricane Center (NHC) said flash floods were likely in urban areas of southern California and southwestern Arizona.

The NHC said 5 to 10 centimeters (2 to 4 inches) of rain could fall in Southern California, and 15 to 20 centimeters (6 to 8 inches) of rain could fall in isolated areas. The Sierra Nevada, Arizona and southern Nevada can grow between 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5 centimeters) and up to 3 inches (7 centimeters) in some areas, he said.

Meanwhile, in the Atlantic, Hurricane Earl continued to move to sea after passing southeast of Bermuda.

As of Friday afternoon, Earl’s vortex was located about 430 miles (690 kilometers) northeast of Bermuda. It had maximum sustained winds of 105 mph (165 km/h) and was moving toward the northeast at 26 mph (43 km/h).

Earl cut power for about 1,500 users as he fell several trees while driving through Bermuda on Friday morning.

By noon, teams of workers had cleared the roads and were working to restore power to some homes without electricity.

Government agencies and public transport were operating normally, while ferries were scheduled to resume service on Friday afternoon.