Sunday, October 2, 2022

Libya’s opposition leaders have ended negotiations without agreement

CAIRO ( Associated Press) – Opposition Libyan leaders wrapped up a week-long talks in the Egyptian capital on Tuesday without a deal, the United Nations said.

Twelve Libyan lawmakers, including members of the eastern parliament and 12 advisers to the upper house of parliament, took part in the UN-brokered talks in western Tripoli. Completed Monday in Cairo.

UN special envoy to Libya Stephanie Williams says authorities have agreed to reconvene next month after Eid al-Fitr.

Earlier in the year, the United Nations said it was working to reach an agreement between the two houses of parliament on a constitutional and legislative framework for parliamentary and presidential elections.

The talks came after Libya was torn apart after rival governments came to power after a decade of civil war.

In February, the country’s eastern House of Representatives named a new prime minister to replace former Interior Minister Fati Bashagan.

Tripoli’s interim prime minister, Abdulhamid Debebah, has been ousted from office by lawmakers, lawmakers say.

Debeba, however, opposed the move. He said he would only hand over power to an elected government.

The unrest was exacerbated by the two leaders’ presence, and heavy armed militias, including the western capital, occasionally blocked roads.

Tribal leaders and dissidents in the southern region have also shut down oil facilities, including Libya’s largest oil refinery.Deby demanded that he step down. The territory is controlled by the forces of the Eastern Commander, Caliph Heifer.

The developments have raised fears that the war could return to Libya after the end of 2020 after the two sides signed a ceasefire agreement with the United Nations.

After ousting longtime dictator Moammar Gadhafi, the oil-rich North African nation collapsed.

The country has been divided between rival East and West rival administrations for the past decade, each backed by different militias and foreign governments.

Meanwhile, Amnesty International has called for the immediate release of at least 10 people and a local journalist arrested in the town of Sirte last month following protests. Opponents A group based in London says they are demanding compensation for victims of NATO’s 2011 civil war.

A spokesman for Hepherd’s forces could not immediately be reached for comment.

Gaddafi regime cracks down on anti-government protesters NATO has launched a United Nations-backed airstrike against the regime Between March and October 2011. NATO warplanes have carried out more than 9,600 strikes. It is estimated that fewer than 100 civilians were killed during the NATO-led operation.

The detainees were taken to an unknown location. According to Amnesty International, Gaddafi praised Gaddafi’s tribe. Ali al-Rafawi, a journalist for Libya’s 218 television station, was arrested on March 26 after covering the protests, the rights group said.

Hepherd’s forces “tightened their grip on the territory under their control. “Over the past few years, protesters and critics have been shot, killed, or imprisoned on the streets,” said Diana Eltahawi, Amnesty International’s Middle East and North Africa Deputy Director.

.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -