A man armed with a bow and arrow killed several people and injured others in southeastern Norway on Wednesday, police said, adding they had arrested the suspect.
“Unfortunately we can confirm that many have been injured in this episode and unfortunately many have died,” local police officer Ovind Aas told a news conference. The suspect has been “arrested by the police and, to the best of our knowledge, there is only one person involved.”
The motive for the attack, which took place at several locations in Kongsberg, the city of approximately 26,000, at 6:30 pm local time (1600 GMT), was not yet known.
Police said the suspect was taken to a police station in the nearby town of Dramon, but did not provide any other details about the man.
“There is no active search for other people,” Aas said.
TV2 station reported that the man also had a knife or other weapon.
The injured have been taken to the hospital. However, police did not say how many people were injured or details of their condition.
Police urged the public to stay at home, and many neighborhoods were cordoned off, with television footage showing ambulances and armed police in the area.
A helicopter and a bomb disposal team were also sent to the spot.
Such attacks are rare in Norway, but it has faced extreme right-wing attacks.
Right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik carried out a double attack on July 22, 2011, in which 77 people were killed.
Breivik first detonated a bomb in the capital Oslo next to the building that housed the prime minister’s office, then went on a shooting spree at a summer camp for left-wing youth on the island of Utoya.
In August 2019, the self-proclaimed neo-Nazi Philipp Manshaus set fire to a mosque on the outskirts of Oslo before being overpowered by worshipers; No one was seriously injured.
However, he had previously shot and killed his half-sister, who was adopted from China, in what prosecutors termed a “racist act”.
Many well-planned jihadist attacks have been foiled by security services.