The fires burning northeast of Mount Shasta – one of dozens ignited by a lightning storm last week – are now bigger than the lava and Tennant fires that scorched the same area a month ago.
As of Friday morning, the Antelope Fire stood at 34,479 acres, an increase of 13,500 acres in 24 hours, as Forest Service fire managers report.
Its evacuation area includes some residents who were forced to flee the Tennant Fire (10,580 acres), and is within 10 miles of the Lava Fire (26,365 acres) trail.
Antelope is one of a group of wildfires for which evacuations have been ordered in Trinity and Siskieu counties.
• Burnt: 34,479 acres (54 sq mi) as of August 6; In the high desert northeast of Mount Shasta.
• Evacuation Orders: Antelope Creek, Tennant, Bray, Mount Hebron. The temporary evacuation point is Doris City Hall.
• Burnt: 36,015 acres (56 sq mi) as of August 6—an increase of more than 11,000 acres in 24 hours. It is in steep, rough terrain along the banks of the Trinity River.
• Clearance Orders: Highway 299 Community of Del Loma, Big Bar, Big Flat and Cedar Flat. The evacuation centers are First Baptist Church in Weaverville and VFW Hall at 20 Kimato Road in Willow Creek.
• WARNINGS: Burnt Farm, Helena, Junction City, Coopers Bar, Red Hill, Canyon Creek.
• Highway Closed: Highway 299 is closed between Burn Ranch and Helena.
• Burnt: 26,598 acres (41 sq mi), 7% control, as of August 6
• Evacuation Order: Community of Wildwood, including 10 miles of Wildwood Road north of Highway 36. The evacuation center is Solid Rock Church, on Tule Creek Road and Highway 3 in Highfork.
• WARNINGS: Between Post Mountain, Trinity Pines, Shields Road, White Rock Road, Harrison Gulch Hwy 36 and Dear Lick Springs Road.
• Highway closed: Highway 36 is closed between Highway 3 and White Rock Road, the California Department of Transportation said.
river complex (Hepres, Summer, about a dozen small active fires)
• Burnt: The latest perimeter maps indicate that Hepres is about 11,000 acres and Summer is about 5,100 acres.
• Evacuation Order: Taylor Creek Road Area, Cecilville, Caribou Rd. The temporary evacuation point is Etna Fire Hall, 400 Main St., Etna. Number to call for River Complex information: (925) 588-6706.
• WARNINGS: Forks of Salmon, Sawyer’s Bar, Godfried, Blue Ridge, Black Bear, Uncle Sam Mine, Eddie Gulch Rd.