Annapolis, Mo.—A man who murdered five people in a Maryland newspaper was sentenced Tuesday to more than five life sentences without the possibility of parole — adding 345 additional years to ensure that he Never be released from jail.
Anne Arundel County Judge Michael Vaux ordered the sentencing for Jarrod Ramos, who a jury had previously found for the June 2018 murders of Wendy Winters, John McNamara, Gerald Fishman, Rob Hiassen and Rebecca Smith with a shotgun in the Capital Gazette’s office. was found criminally responsible for
The attack was one of the deadliest attacks on journalists in American history.
Before announcing the sentence, the judge heard the survivors and family members of the deceased describe the pain and loss they experienced. He emphasized the courage of the speaking family members.
“The defendant didn’t get the final say,” Vaux said. “The First Amendment and the community got the final say.”
Wach also pointed out that Ramos showed no remorse for the crimes and said that he would kill more if he was ever released. He described Ramos’ actions as “a cold-blooded, well-planned attack on the innocent employees of a small-town newspaper”.
“The impact of this case is simply enormous,” Wachs said. “To say that the defendant exhibited a blatant and complete disregard for the sanctity of human life is simply a gross understatement.”
Using Maryland’s version of the insanity defense, Ramos pleaded guilty to all 23 counts against him in 2019 but was not criminally liable. The case was delayed several times before and during the coronavirus pandemic.
In addition to five life sentences without the possibility of parole, Wach ordered another life sentence for the attempted murder of photographer Paul Gillespie, who said Ramos remembered him with a shotgun blast as he was in the newsroom. had run out. The judge also sentenced Ramos to 345 years in prison on other charges.
“The judge was absolutely clear that Jarrod Ramos should never be allowed to get out of jail,” said Anne Arundel County State Attorney Anne Colt Leates.
Family members of those killed cried in court as they described the suffering they endured and the impact the attack had on the community of Maryland’s state capital.
“We lost our family storyteller, and as a community we lost the storyteller for everyone who is an Annapolitan,” said Winters’ daughter Montana Winters Geimer.
San Felis, who escaped hiding under a desk during the attack, told reporters outside the courthouse that it was “nice to see the officers carry him away forever.”
“It was really nice to be able to look the judge in the eye and be able to look the shooter in the eye,” San Felice said. “It meant a lot to me that I could tell him to my face that he failed.”
Ramos, sitting in court wearing a black mask, refused to give a statement in court when asked by his lawyer, Katy O’Donnell.
After a 12-day trial in July, a jury took less than two hours to dismiss Ramos’ attorneys’ arguments that he did not understand the criminality of his actions.
Prosecutors argued that Ramos, 41, acted in revenge against the newspaper after publishing a story about his guilty plea on a misdemeanor charge of harassing a former high school classmate in 2011. Prosecutors said his long, meticulous planning for the attack – which included preparation for his arrest and lengthy imprisonment – proved he understood the criminality of his actions.
Prosecutors also emphasized how Ramos called 911 from the newsroom after the shooting, identifying himself as the gunman and saying he surrendered—evidence that he clearly understood the criminality of his actions. .
This News Originally From – The Epoch Times