Annapolis, Mohd. – A man who killed five people in a Maryland newspaper was sentenced on Tuesday to more than five life sentences without the possibility of parole.
Anne Arundel County Judge Michael Wachs ordered the sentencing for Jarrod Ramos, whom a jury had previously ruled for the June 2018 murders of Wendy Winters, John McNemera, Gerald Fishman, Rob Hiassen and Rebecca Smith with a shotgun in the Capital Gazette’s office. was found criminally responsible for
Using Maryland’s version of the insanity defense, Ramos pleaded guilty to all 23 counts against him in 2019 but was not criminally liable. The case was delayed several times before and during the coronavirus pandemic.
Before announcing the sentence, the judge said Ramos showed no remorse for the crimes and even told a state psychiatrist that he would kill more if he was ever released.
“The impact of this case is simply enormous,” Wachs said. “To say that the defendant exhibited a blatant and complete disregard for the sanctity of human life is simply a gross understatement.”
Ramos, sitting in court wearing a black mask, refused to give a statement in court when asked by his lawyer, Katy O’Donnell.
Also before the sentencing, survivors of the shootings and the relatives of the five victims killed in the attack described their pain and loss.
Montana Winters Geimer, daughter of hunting victim Wendy Winters, testified how her mother “wake up one morning, went to work and never came back.”
“The day he died was the worst day of my life,” Geimer told Wachs. “Spent hours trying to find out whether she was alive or dead, has lived in my nightmares ever since.”
The attack was one of the deadliest attacks on journalists in American history.
After a 12-day trial in July, a jury took less than two hours to dismiss Ramos’ attorneys’ arguments that he did not understand the criminality of his actions.
Prosecutors argue that 41-year-old Ramos acted in revenge against the newspaper after publishing a story about his guilty plea on a misdemeanor charge of harassing a former high school classmate in 2011. Prosecutors said his long, meticulous planning for the attack – which included preparation for his arrest and lengthy imprisonment – proved he understood the criminality of his actions.