Mexico and the US present a joint bid to host the 2027 Women’s World Cup

0
1
Mexico and the US present a joint bid to host the 2027 Women's World Cup

The Mexican Soccer Federation and the United States Soccer Federation presented a joint bid to host the 2027 Women’s World Cup on Friday. Their proposal is expected to compete with Brazil and the joint plan of Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium.

No organization has presented stadium proposals. The American federation indicated that the candidacy is intended to take advantage of the efficiency of the 2026 men’s World Cup, which will be held in the United States, Mexico and Canada.

“The United States and Mexico are in a unique position to host a World Cup that takes advantage of the same venues, infrastructure and protocols that were used for the men’s World Cup to be held just one year ago, ” said US federation president Cindy Parlow Cone in a statement. “As a result, we believe that the time is right to host a FIFA Women’s World Cup that will be a truly world-class experience for players and fans. “It will not only unlock the potential of economy of women’s football, but will send a message to young players around the world that there are no limits to what they can do.”

Read Also:  Trump is preparing his worst version if he is re-elected

The US federation said the plan would put the hosts in a position to fill large stadiums, with most venues holding more than 65,000 spectators.

The United States hosted the Women’s World Cup in 1991 and 1999.

The 1999 tournament attracted 1.2 million fans, an average of nearly 38,000 for each of the 32 games played in eight stadiums across the country.

The 2003 tournament, originally scheduled for China, was moved to the United States four months before the scheduled start due to the SARS virus and played in six smaller venues. There were 15 doubleheaders and the tournament drew nearly 680,000 fans, with an average of more than 21,000.

Read Also:  Minor arrested after attempting to attack app driver

FIFA has set a deadline of Friday to present the proposals. South Africa also ran as a candidate in September, but withdrew its bid last month.

FIFA will conduct an inspection of the proposed venues in February and the FIFA Congress will vote on the venue in May.