The representative of the government in Galicia, José Ramón Gómez Besteiro, met on Tuesday the relatives of the victims of the Galician fishing boat ‘Villa de Pitanxo’, where he informed that the Ministry of Transport, Mobility and Urban Agenda has formalized the contract with ACSM . wreck, so a ship is already “available” in Vigo to begin operations.
Besteiro told the media after the first meeting with the families since taking office, which took place at the headquarters of the sub-delegation of Pontevedra’s government, as relatives requested to make it easier for more people to go. to be able.
The representative of the Central Executive pointed out that this Tuesday the ministry finally sent the contract to the winning company ACSM Shipping, which has already signed it, so it is now necessary to inform the National Court (AN), which is investigating . matter judicially.
Besteiro has made itself available to families with the aim of “coordinating and strengthening” the transfer of information. This was one of the demands made by the relatives in the meeting. They have also requested that the Ministry send all the documents requested by the National Court to expedite the procedures and to be able to land the ship as soon as possible.
The spokeswoman for the families, María José de Pazo, expressed her distress at understanding that the government had been slow in sending the report requested by the judge on the case.
Asked about when she expects it to finally be possible to depart for Newfoundland, she predicted that the operation would still be delayed, as it is now AN that will have to agree with the company when this will happen. .
“All in order”
However, Jose Cubero, general director of ACSM Shipping, the company that contracted the ‘Villa de Pitanxo’ to go down, insisted that “everything is in order” after the signing of the contract.
Despite the fact that this Monday he himself warned that either the document would be signed soon or the operation could be cancelled, this Tuesday he sent a message of hope in his statements to Europa Press, that Emphasizing that there is still no date, but that the vessel is already “available” in Vigo and it will be known in the next few days when it will be able to leave for Canadian waters.
In February 2022, the Galician fishing vessel ‘Villa de Pitanxo’ sank 450 kilometers off the coast of Newfoundland, killing 21 of the 24 sailors on board. From there, the families of the dead have launched a series of actions to try to clarify the facts, which they have always said has involved digging down the wreckage to find evidence of what might have happened.