Cuba’s Ministry of Public Health (MINSAP) reported more than 100 cases of the coronavirus in the past three days.
As the agency reported on its website, 43 new cases of the disease were diagnosed this Wednesday, most of them (33) under the age of 20.
At present, a total of 221 patients are admitted, out of which 111 are active cases. There are two patients in intensive care: one is in critical condition and the other is in serious condition.
The most affected province is Holguin with 14 cases out of 43. Since the beginning of the month, when the number of infected children rose to 77 in 14 days, officials in the region raised the alarm over the increase in the rate of incidence, and even the local press denounced that “guards has been reduced to “…
Nationally, the number of 43 confirmed cases is highly significant, after several weeks of recording between 20 and 30 daily cases.
34 cases were reported on Tuesday and 30 on Monday. Including 43 on Wednesday, 107 new patients have appeared in three days.
On May 9, Dr. Raul Guinvert, Dean of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computing at the University of Havana, predicted a slight increase in COVID-19 cases in the coming weeks.
At a meeting of the country’s leadership with scientists and health experts, Guineveret said that from May 1 to May 7, the number of cases remained the same as in the previous week.
The expert noted that in the last week of April and the first week of May, the cumulative incidence in the country was two cases per 100,000 inhabitants, with an upward trend.
“All provinces will maintain a trend of controlling confirmed cases in the coming weeks, although the number of confirmed cases will continue to increase marginally,” he said, quoted by the Cuban Presidency website.
In particular, he mentioned the provinces of Holguin, Las Tunas and Granma, where the highest incidence was concentrated, although the epidemiological situation in the country as a whole was very similar to that at the beginning of the year.
“Alert is maintained, as there could be an increase in cases due to the arrival of visitors and possible entry of new variants. The reproduction number is close to one, indicating that the epidemic is likely to persist in the coming weeks,” he stressed. Said. ,
The Cuban government has assured that no cases of the new variant of the coronavirus Omicron xbb.1.16 (also known as Arcturus) have been detected, which is already circulating in more than 30 countries with most of the cases in India. Is.
At the beginning of the month, Dr. Francisco Durán García, director of epidemiology at MINSAP, said that border surveillance is being carried out to detect any suspected cases, paying attention to the behavior of xbb.1.16 in the world.
This variant of Omicron, first identified in January this year, appears to be more infectious than the previous one and has a moderate degree of immune survival, that is, it is moderately resistant to people’s immune systems.
The most common symptoms suffered by those infected are very high fever, cough, tuberculosis and conjunctivitis, although there is no total agreement on the cause of this last disease.