MELBOURNE, Australia, USA ( Associated Press) – Two-time champion Naomi Osaka has confirmed she will not play at the Australian Open, adding another high-profile tournament to her growing list of notable absences.
Organizers confirmed via Twitter on Sunday that the Japanese, champions of the tournament in 2019 and 2021, would not play in Melbourne.
“Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the Australian Open. We will miss him,” the post said.
The 25-year-old Osaka dropped to No. 47 in the rankings and has not played since September after a second round exit in Tokyo. She won her first round match in that tournament after Australia’s Daria Saville withdrew after one game due to a knee injury.
Osaka has won just one full match since May and has lost in the first round of her last three outings, including the US Open, which she has won twice.
Last week she posted pictures on social media of a trip to Europe with her boyfriend, American rapper Corday, and her participation in the season’s first Grand Slam was deemed unlikely.
Dayna Yastremska of Ukraine will make her place in the main draw.
Osaka went on a break for mental health reasons after missing the French Open in 2021 and later said she had been battling depression and anxiety for several years. His absence from Melbourne adds to the uncertainty of whether or not he will continue his career.
Several players have already missed the Australian Open starting January 16, including world number one Carlos Alcaraz, who announced his withdrawal on Saturday due to an ankle injury.
Former finalist Simona Halep will also not play this year and Venus Williams returned her wild card after suffering an injury during training in Auckland.