New Brunswick reported two more deaths related to COVID-19 on Sunday.
These include individuals aged 80 to 89 in the Moncton area and those aged 70 to 79 in the Bathurst area. The province reported eight COVID-19 deaths over the weekend and now has a total of 209 deaths related to the virus.
The province said there are 126 people in hospital with COVID-19.
Of those hospitalized, 101 are aged 60 and above and three are aged 19 and below. 10 people are in intensive care and six are on ventilators.
There are 74 people with COVID-19 in the hospital who were admitted for other reasons.
A total of 545 tested positive through a PCR test, the province said on Sunday, and 584 announced they had tested positive with a rapid test.
A total of 1,603,873 vaccine doses have been given in the province, of which 91.7 percent are first dose, 83.7 percent two doses and 38.2 percent are booster shots.
Demonstration in Moncton over pandemic restrictions
More than a thousand people took part in downtown Moncton on Sunday to protest government-imposed restrictions and vaccination mandates.
Parts of Main Street and Assumption Boulevard were closed for about an hour. According to estimates by the Kodiak RCMP, there were 1,200 to 1,500 people there.
They say no one was arrested or ticketed.
In the afternoon protest, drivers slowed down traffic on the border between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.
The New Brunswick RCMP warned of potential delays in the area for motorists.
From the border in Nova Scotia, Highway 104 was reduced to one lane in both directions.
All this comes a day after two people were arrested at a protest in Fredericton
Parents urged to book vaccinations for their children
The province is urging parents and guardians to book a vaccine appointment for their children. So far, 54 percent of children between the ages of five and 11 have received their first dose.
“Children are expected to return to school individually by the end of the month and they will benefit greatly from vaccination,” Dr. Jennifer Russell, Chief Medical Officer of Health, said in a news release on Sunday.
“I am calling on all parents with children in this age group to book an appointment now for their child’s first dose, if they have not yet been vaccinated, or their second dose if they are eligible. For.”