More New Brunswickers can receive a booster dose of the COVID-19 vaccine starting today, as the province reports a record-high record high of hospitalizations.
All New Brunswickers 18 years of age and older are now eligible to book an appointment, as long as five months have passed since their second dose.
Eighty people are now hospitalized because of the virus, with seven people, 13 of whom are in intensive care, down three since Sunday.
The previous highest level of hospitalization was 80 on Saturday, while the record for ICU admission was 31 on October 7.
For the province to consider moving from Level 2 to Level 3 of the COVID-19 Winter Plan, there are 50 COVID patients in 100 active COVID-19 hospitals or intensive care provincially.
Ten people are on ventilators.
Of those hospitalized, 65 are over the age of 60. No one is under 19.
In Frederickton, dozens of people lined up outside the Horizon Health Network’s vaccination clinic in Brookside Mall for at least an hour before it opened at 11 a.m.
Horizon’s only vaccination clinic, located in Exhibition Park, on the east side of the city, in St. John’s, was closed.
Horizon officials did not respond to a request for comment.
Liberal health critic Jean-Claude D’Amours, legislator for the Edmundston-Madawaska Center, said there were no booster appointments for the new group in his area.
“As of today GNB is opening booster doses to 18-49 year olds,” he posted on Twitter. “Where are appointments available? Zone 4: No availability in Edmondston and Grand Falls.”
The province announced expanded eligibility for boosters during a COVID briefing last Friday, as omicron-type cases and hospitalizations continue to rise.
The pandemic “now poses a serious threat to our health care system,” said Dr Jennifer Russell, Chief Medical Officer of Health.
“It is imperative that every New Brunswicker is vaccinated.”
Moderna Vaccine will be given to people age 30 and older, regardless of which vaccine they received for the previous dose.
Public Health said in a news release Monday, the limited national supply of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine will be reserved for people aged 12 to 29 “because the risk of complications in this age group, while much lower, than the Pfizer vaccine.” It happens.”
“There is no difference in risks between Moderna and Pfizer for people over 30,” it said.
Public Health has previously stated that there is evidence, although rare, that the risk of myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, and pericarditis, inflammation of the tissue surrounding the heart, for the younger age group with the Pfizer vaccine is rare.
“The risk posed by the Moderna vaccine is low for people 30 years of age and older,” it said.
At the Brookside Mall clinic, volunteers are distributing masks and asking people to “double up,” whether they’re wearing an N95 or KN95.
“Our IPC [infection prevention control] Best practices for most of the pandemic call for everyone to have a new, clean mask, regardless of what they bring with them,” Horizon spokesman Chris McDavid said in an email.
“I think this is to ensure that there are consistent standards being met in terms of where the masked men are being searched.”
People can book a booster appointment through a regional Health Network clinic or through a participating pharmacy.
A list of Horizons and Vitalite’s upcoming clinics is available online.
As of Monday, 26 percent of eligible New Brunswickers have received a booster dose, 25.4 percent to 83.2 percent have received two doses, up from 83.1 percent, and 90.8 percent have received a single dose, unchanged.
According to the CBC’s Vaccine Tracker, 79.1 percent of the total population of the state has a double dose and 86.4 percent has received at least one dose.
2 people in their 70s both died over the weekend
The two COVID-related deaths reported over the weekend included both in their 70s, one in the St. John area, Zone 2, and the other in the Miramichi area, Zone 7, Public Health reported on Monday. said in the release.
No news release was issued over the weekend.
Public Health also on Monday reported 220 new cases of COVID-19, based on PCR (polymerase chain reaction) lab tests, confined to groups at highest risk of hospitalization due to the virus.
That total does not include positive rapid test results, which are not diagnostic, but the province is now treating as confirmed and asking people to self-report online.
According to the news release, another 443 positive rapid test results were submitted with the result date of January 9.
Since the province launched the Point of Care Testing – Positive Results self-reporting web portal on January 5, more than 3,800 people have registered as being positive.
“Due to the delay between when people submit their results and the current spread due to the Omron variant, these numbers combined with the daily PCR positive results available on the COVID-19 dashboard are thought to be lower than the actual number of cases. ,” Public Health said.
Still, the province will begin making positive rapid test results public on the COVID-19 dashboard by the end of the week, Health Department spokesman Bruce MacFarlane said. The health sector and age group of those who test positive will also be included.
The regional breakdown of the 220 new PCR-confirmed cases reported includes:
- Moncton Area, Zone 1 — 110 cases
- St. John’s area, Zone 2 – 35 cases
- Fredericton area, zone 3 – 21 cases
- Edmundston area Zone 4 – 14 cases
- Campbelton area, Zone 5 – 16 cases
- Bathurst area, Zone 6 – 21 cases
- Miramichi Zone, Zone 7 – Three cases
A total of 639,488 PCR tests were conducted including 1,720 on Sunday, taking the positivity rate to 12.8 per cent.
There are 7,668 active cases across the province.
New Brunswick has 20,699 PCR-confirmed cases of COVID-19, with 12,857 cured and 172 deaths so far.