A New York state appeals court judge on Thursday temporarily halted the fraud trial scheduled for Oct. 2 against Donald Trump and his family business, a court spokesman said.
The order came after former US President sued Judge Arthur Engoron, the judge overseeing the case, accusing him and New York Attorney General Letitia James of defying a court order that could restrict demand, one said Daily Beast report.
According to the court spokesman, Appeals Court Judge David Friedman granted a temporary stay of proceedings and referred the matter to a five-judge panel, which is expected to rule in the last week of September.
The trial could begin as early as October 2nd, depending on how the appeals court, the so-called First Department, decides.
The stay ordered by Friedman does not apply to a hearing on both sides’ motions for summary judgment scheduled for Sept. 22 before Engoron, which can take place as scheduled, the court spokesman said.
Prosecutor James wants Trump’s financial reports found to be false, while the defendants want most or all of the prosecution’s charges dismissed. Engoron said the process could last until around Christmas.
The attorney general said a “mountain of evidence” shows how Trump and his associates lied for a decade about his wealth and net worth, which she said was inflated by as much as $3.6 billion for better terms for loans and insurance.
James is calling for a $250 million fine and a ban on Trump and his sons Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump from running the family business, the Trump Organization. Prosecutors presented their complaint in September 2022 after a three-year investigation.