UN forces in Mali said their convoy rammed an improvised explosive device into northern Mali on Saturday, killing a UN peacekeeper and seriously injuring four others.
Earlier this week there was bloodshed near the town of Tesalit after an ambush on a mining convoy in southern Mali that was claimed by an al-Qaeda-linked group.
Armed attacks by Islamist militants and other groups are common in vast areas of Mali and its neighbors Burkina Faso and Niger, despite the heavy presence of international troops. Thousands of civilians have been killed and millions displaced.
“This incident is a sad reminder of the enduring threat looming over our peacekeepers,” El Ghassim Wain, the head of the UN mission called Minusma, said in a statement. The peacemaker who was killed was from Egypt.
The mission has deployed more than 13,000 troops to prevent violence by armed groups in the north and center of the country. It has recorded nearly 255 deaths since 2013, making it the deadliest of more than a dozen UN peacekeeping missions.
In a statement issued on Saturday night, the UN Secretary-General strongly condemned the attack and “expressed his deepest condolences to the family of the victim, as well as to the government and people of Egypt. He wishes the injured a speedy recovery.” The statement of the Secretary General’s spokesman said.