Ontario is reporting 522 COVID-19 hospitalizations and 11 more deaths linked to the virus as the mask mandatory for high-risk indoor settings ends Saturday.
Provincial masking requirements in areas such as public transportation, health care settings, long-term care homes and retirement homes were initially set to expire on April 27, but that deadline was extended earlier this year to June 11 was.
A health ministry spokesman told Nation World News that the chief medical officer for health, Dr. Kieran Moore, “is reviewing and monitoring key indicators across the province.”
As to whether the mandate will be carried forward, a ministry spokesman says the province will continue to seek advice on next steps and follow through.
Meanwhile, hospitalizations reported on Wednesday are slightly less than 526 on Tuesday and 722 on the same day last week.
According to the health ministry, 41 per cent of those admitted to the hospital were specifically admitted for the virus, while the rest were admitted for other reasons and then tested positive.
of those in the hospital, 114 required intensive care, similar to Tuesday, but down from 127 at this time last week. 54 patients need the help of ventilators to breathe.
About 69 percent of those in intensive care units were admitted because of the virus, while the rest were admitted for other reasons and then tested positive.
Meanwhile, the province on Wednesday reported at least 1,013 new daily cases of COVID-19, with 8,291 tests completed within the last 24 hours. However, due to testing limits, officials say the actual number of daily new cases is likely to be far higher than reported.
The provincewide test positivity rate is 6.4 percent.
The new deaths reported on Wednesday raised the province’s pandemic death toll to 13,304.