Friday, June 2, 2023

Open AI and ChatGPT: This research analyzes the evolution of attitudes towards the use of generative AI within law firms

“Our use of artificial intelligence technology is designed to help legal professionals perform their jobs more efficiently, allowing them to focus their time where it matters most. This data demonstrates a high commitment to new technology, but a critical need for further understanding to enable legal professionals to first trust and then seize the opportunity ahead,” Kriti Sharma, Thomson Reuters Legal Technology Product Director said.

“We are dedicated to helping our clients navigate the rise of generative AI, as well as supporting the profession in harnessing the potential of large language models to improve access to justice,” he added.

Law firms looking to adopt new technologies are aware of the potential risks and are taking a cautious but pragmatic approach to finding potential use cases. As part of the research, the Thomson Reuters Institute conducted qualitative interviews to better understand the views. The importance of securing the use of generative AI was mentioned in every interview conducted, with all noting that they still fully trust generative AI tools with sensitive data, and especially public-facing ChatGPT tools. Don’t do it.

With a third of respondents (34%) still in the idea stage for Generative AI and ChatGPT, it is essential to build trust to ensure awareness of its potential. The survey highlights that along with the development of technology, the legal profession must focus on education. It will help professionals seize opportunities to build trust and raise awareness about how AI technology can help automate tasks, deliver insights and increase efficiency when combined with trusted information and human insight.

Research shows that 83% of respondents believe that their firm does not use AI, or do not know whether AI is used in their firm, with the legal profession facing artificial intelligence for several years. There is profit. With the launch of ChatGPT in November 2022, we see a new layer of opportunity in tools that have the potential to transform the way lawyers work.

Sharma said: “The research highlights how clinicians think and feel about the rise of generative AI. We are clear about the opportunities; however, it suggests that we are yet to secure application or benefits.” To be successful, the legal industry must be proactive and take responsibility for educating itself, agreeing to industry-specific regulations, leading consumer awareness, and seeking to incorporate AI. Be proactive in expanding your code of conduct.”

As soon as? Sam Altman makes sure that the strategy used to start ChatGPT is gone. It states that future advances in artificial intelligence will require new ideas.

Testing method

The Thomson Reuters Institute conducted research for this report by sending invitations for an online survey to large and mid-sized law firms as well as law firms that are members of the Thomson Reuters Alliance’s Influencers Panel based in the United States. United Kingdom and Canada. There were 443 applicable respondents between March 21-31, 2023.

Of these respondents, 62% were from mid-sized law firms (between 30 and 179 lawyers); And the remaining 38% were from large law firms (more than 180 lawyers), with 17% of the total respondents being from firms with more than 500 lawyers. The majority of respondents were from the US (63%), with 23% of respondents from the UK and 14% from Canada.

Respondents’ job titles were roughly split between partners/managing partners (34%), associates (30%), and other attorneys (26%). The remaining 11% of respondents were split between paralegal, law librarian, C-suite/executive leadership, and IT/technology management.

Respondents who completed the survey were also asked select open-ended questions regarding their views on whether or not generative AI should be used for legal purposes, as well as the potential risks of generative AI, and whether they believe that those risks exist. Thomson Reuters Institute also conducted additional qualitative interviews to further develop AI generative beliefs in addition to the survey responses.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Desk
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here