Friday, February 3, 2023

Paralyzed footballer says his case set a precedent

GENEVA ( Associated Press) – A Brazilian player who was paralyzed after a collision during a match believes his legal dispute was a victory for soccer, even after the sport’s highest court ordered compensation. Rejected the claim made to his club.

Leandro Padovani has lost his legal case against Iranian club Esteghlal, where he was injured in 2018, before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), global football federation FIFPRO reported on Tuesday.

However, Padovani and FIFPRO also considered the case a victory as it established the possibility for players to file injury claims in future with world football’s governing body.

“This is a relevant case for future generations of soccer players,” Padovani told The Associated Press in an interview from Brazil on Monday before the court’s decision was announced. “If another player gets hurt like me, there will be case law to protect them.”

Through a statement, FIFPRO expressed its “disappointment at the TAS ruling that the club was not responsible for the player’s career-ending injury.”

Padovani, now 39, left Brazil in 2012 to play in the Persian Gulf Pro League. Esteghlal was the defender’s fourth team in Iran.

FIFPRO reported that he suffered serious head and neck injuries following a collision with a teammate during a match played in February 2018. He said that Padovani’s neck was not properly stabilized.

“TAS agreed that the club was not at fault, despite the fact that they carried me from the field to the hospital without any precautions. Now I am a quadriplegic,” Padovani told the Associated Press.

Esteghlal “did not have an insurance policy to cover this injury, a measure that is common in many other jurisdictions and which should be mandatory in all professional football. This left the player in an unacceptable and unimaginable position”, FIFPRO indicated. gave.

The union said that the case in which Padovani was seeking compensation for injury had been rejected by the FIFA Disputes Panel, “on the grounds that it was not competent to consider the claim.”

While the CAS judges hearing Padovani’s case found that the club’s actions were not shown to have caused the injuries, they also decided that FIFA should address those claims in the future, FIFPRO said.

“It is therefore an important decision for players who have been injured through negligence by their clubs,” the Netherlands-based association said.

Padovani, who is married with one child, now competes in Paralympic swimming. His goal is to reach the Paris Games in 2024.

“I had no insurance or support from the club or FIFA,” he said of his legal case. “It’s a watershed for serious injury cases.”

,

Savarese reported from Sao Paulo.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here