SAO PAULO ( Associated Press) – Pele’s health has deteriorated while he was hospitalized to monitor treatment for stomach cancer, doctors said Wednesday.
The Albert Einstein Sao Paulo hospital reported that Pele’s cancer had progressed and the 82-year-old Brazilian football star was receiving “more care” because of “kidney and heart disease”.
The clinic did not say whether the three-time world champion is still suffering from a recent respiratory infection that was exacerbated by COVID-19.
Pele has been receiving chemotherapy in his battle against cancer since having a colon tumor removed in September 2021. His family and the hospital have not disclosed whether the cancer has spread to any other part of his body.
One of his daughters, Kelly Nascimento, said Pele would be in the hospital until Christmas.
“We decided with the doctors for various reasons that the best thing for us would be to be here in Einstein with all the care this new family gives us,” the daughter wrote on Instagram. “We’ll be making some caipirinhas (no kidding). We love you and will update you next week.”
The Folha de S. Paulo newspaper had earlier reported that Pelé’s chemotherapy was not working and doctors decided to keep him in palliative care. The former soccer player’s family denied that version, and The Associated Press could not confirm it.
Pelé helped Brazil win the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups, and remains one of the team’s top scorers with 77 goals. Neymar equaled Pele’s record during the last World Cup.
The star has received many tributes and well wishes during the tournament in Qatar, which Argentina won on Sunday.