Thursday, October 28, 2021

Philippine leader Rodrigo Duterte announces retirement from politics

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Saturday that he would not run for vice president in the 2022 elections and would instead retire from politics.

Duterte’s move came as a surprise to many, as he announced in August that he would run for vice president. Now the speculations have given air that he may clear the way for his daughter’s heir.

“The overwhelming feeling of Filipinos is that I am not qualified, and that would be a violation of the Constitution,” Duterte said. “Following the will of the people… I will follow what you want and today I announce my retirement from politics,” he said.

In the Philippines, the president is limited by the constitution to a six-year term and opponents said they would question the validity of Duterte’s declared vice-presidency before the Supreme Court if he pursued his bid.

Political analysts have previously said that polls suggested that Duterte, together with his daughter Sarah Duterte, who is currently the mayor of the city of Davao, would be a strong pair as the presidential candidate.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (L) and his daughter Sarah Duterte arrive for the opening of the Boao Forum for Asia (BFA) Annual Conference in Boao, Hainan Province, China on April 10, 2018. (AFP via Getty Images)

“It allows Sarah Duterte to run,” said Antonio La Vina, professor of law and politics at the Ateneo de Manila University. “She sees through the father’s plan or is it pretending to confuse everyone.”

Read Also:  Federal judge revokes Texas polling place dress code

But when her father initially announced that she would seek the post of vice president, Sarah Duterte announced that she would not run for president, adding that she and her father agreed that the next year would only be a Duterte national. Will run for office.

This is not the first time Duterte has announced that he is retiring from politics, as in 2015, he entered the presidential election race at the last minute and eventually won by a large margin, prompting some political analysts to decide. But doubted.

“I will take his announcement with a lot of salt,” Carlos Conde, a Philippines researcher at New York-based Human Rights Watch, told Reuters. “But assuming he’s actually going to retire, that doesn’t mean he won’t get the protection he wants from the ICC.”

The 76-year-old leader is known for his deadly anti-drug crackdown, flamboyant rhetoric and unconventional political style.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

from ntd news

Lorenz Duchamps

Follow

.

This News Originally From – The Epoch Times

Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -