Colombia’s National Police, an organization with about 164,000 members, will readjust the salaries of its colleagues An increase which would be 14.62% for the year 2023, retrospectively from January 1 of the same year.
(Petro installed the new Director General of Police).
President Petro is also of the view that the wage increase for 2024 will be higher than 1.6% Consumer Price Index (CPI) at the end of the year.
It should be noted that police officers in Colombia have different ranks within the institution, and are paid salaries based on their position and classification.
(This is the pay scale in the police, after the increment).
For the previous year, according to Decree 466 of March 2022 of the Ministry of National Defense, the salaries of police officers were:
Officers, where the ranks are:
– Common, con $22.340.377,18
– Mayor General con $16.734.426,78
– Brigadier General, con $4.980.927,46
– Coronel, con $11.571.990,09
– Lieutenant Colonel, con $4.232.131,70
– Mayor, cone $.292.776
Captain, con $2,709,810
– lieutenant, thief $2.367.072
– lieutenant, thief $2,092,780
On the other hand, there are non-commissioned officers with the following ranks and salaries:
– Sergeant – Majorcon $2,354,907
– first Sergeant, con $2,331,920,75
– deputy sergeant, thief $1.831.383
– Sergeant II, con $1,673,430
– Corporal First, con $1,547,877
– second cable, con $1,500,506
Finally, there are executive positions, they are the following:
Commissioner, con $3,817,320
– Deputy commissioner, cone $3.241.253
Chief Constable, Thieves $3,085,730.
– Mayor, con $2,929,129
Superintendent, con $2,301,330
– guard, thief $1.835.072
– investigator thief $1.835.072
– carabiner, thief $1.835.072
It is to be clarified that the mentioned prices have still not taken into account the increase of 14.62%.
This is the biggest increase so far for public officials as compared to the previous year which was 7.26%. Which translates into an increase of slightly more than double for 2023.
It must be remembered that apart from the pay and increment mentioned above, the officers continue to get bonus and other statutory remuneration as per the pay scale. In the next few days, President Petro will have to sign the agreement for it to take effect.