Pregnancy and diabetes should be controlled with adequate nutrition. We tell how to get it.
Diabetes is a disease where the blood sugar level is too high. Today, the Spanish Society of Internal Medicine has established It is one of the most frequent complications during pregnancy, So how are they related? This is a question that has a lot to bite into. Read on to understand the connection between a physiological condition like pregnancy and the pathological problem of diabetes.
How is diabetes related to pregnancy?
When there is a variable degree of sugar or glucose tolerance disorder, When it is detected for the first time during pregnancy, it is called gestational diabetes., It is considered a common complication related to the increase in metabolism of women.
According to the Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 6 to 7% of pregnancies in the world are complicated by diabetes., Of these, 88 to 90% are women with gestational diabetes and 10 to 12% are pre-gestational diabetes. In an attempt to keep blood sugar at the right level, more insulin has to be produced. when the amount is not enough Sugar is above normal values,
In addition, it is suspected that pregnancy hormones Decrease the body’s ability to use and respond to the action of insulin, On the other hand, some experts believe that pregnancy diabetes is a state of stress that has a significant effect on the fetus.
result for the child
In case of progeny, he may suffer from diabetes and obesity. On the other hand, when it is pre-pregnancy, it is important to detect the pregnancy as early as possible and to check and control their blood sugar levels. The general thing is that if you are not suffering from diabetes, A screening test before the second trimester To avoid complications.
What can cause diabetes in pregnancy?
These are the factors that predispose to diabetes during pregnancy:
- known diabetes Type 1 or type 2 from the preconception period (pre-gestational diabetes).
- genetic inheritance Of diabetes
- passed over 35 years old.
- woman fat and overweight, A body mass index (BMI) over 30 is considered risky.
- syndrome of polycystic ovaries,
- gestational diabetes in previous pregnancy.
- lack of exercise.
- keep it poor diet,
What are the consequences of uncontrolled diabetes?
If a pregnant woman with diabetes does not control herself, she may be at risk of: miscarriage or having a baby with birth defects, In more advanced stages, there may be children weighing more than 4 kg due to lack of control of blood sugar, cesarean delivery, preeclampsia, stillbirth and less sugar, among others.
Therefore, it is necessary to talk to the treating physician Get tested and diagnosed with diabetes if you meet certain risk factors, If the mother has diabetes before pregnancy, the relevant control should be started immediately.
How to avoid consequences?
Controlling blood sugar reduces the risk of complications or worsening of the mother’s diabetes during pregnancy.
- If you are suffering from diabetes before pregnancy, It is recommended to plan and consult the treating physician condition before pregnancy. The specialist will give you guidelines to control the pathology and carry the pregnancy to a good term.
- adopt a healthy eating style, For this, you will need the support of a nutritionist to help you make an eating plan according to your pathology. A group of experts suggests that it should be verified that weight gain is adequate, promote good eating habits and avoid episodes of low sugar, for which it is recommended to carry candy, tablets or glucose gels with you. She goes.
- give rise to Frequent self-monitoring of capillary glucose.
- set up an exercise plan, One way to keep blood sugar under control is exercise. Consult your doctor before exercising during pregnancy. Activities such as walking or playing with children can be done for at least 30 minutes.
- Maintain control over medications and insulin. The prescription should be made as indicated to achieve blood sugar control.
A good diet and physical exercise are key
Good control of diabetes should be maintained in pregnancy, whether it is gestational diabetes or develops in the pre-gestational stage. controls are the same and Medical and nutritional expert guidance required, The key lies in dietary treatment and exercise. Some cases will require the use of medication or insulin injections.
What do you need to know if you have diabetes and are pregnant?
Diabetes is not a hindrance in enjoying a successful pregnancy. It is only necessary that you keep a series of dietary guidelines in mind. read more »