LONDON ( Associated Press) – Prince Harry has accused the British royal family of being co-responsible for the suffering of his wife, Meghan, after his stepmother Camilla, the Queen’s consort, leaked private conversations to the media to boost her reputation. ,
In the interview aired on Sunday, Harry accused members of the royal family of “going to bed with the devil” to gain favorable press coverage and rebuild his image with the British people after years of an affair with his father. pointed to Camilla’s efforts to establish se. Now King Carlos III.
“She became dangerous because of the connections she was making in the British press,” he told CBS. “There was an open willingness on both sides to exchange information. And with a family built on the pecking order, and on her way to being queen consort, she was going to see people or corpses in the street.
Enrique spoke with the British television station ITV, the American series CBS’s program “60 Minutes” and the program “Good Morning America” to promote his book “Spare” (“Spare: In the Shadows”), which aired on Tuesday. will be posted. The drama has already grabbed incendiary headlines with its details of bitter family feud.
Harry has repeatedly blamed the media for the problems that affect him and his wife, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, as well as the rest of the family. The coverage has contributed to her lawsuit with her brother, Prince William, and his wife, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.
“We were always being pitted against each other,” Enrique told Good Morning America. “They were pitting Katherine against Megan.”
Harry has not limited himself to launching a legal battle against certain sections of the British media, saying his father thinks trying to change the press is “probably a suicide mission”. Enrique said it was “my wife’s job” to change the media landscape in Britain.
He repeated his allegation on ITV that there was “concern” within the royal family about the skin color of his unborn child when he married Meghan, a biracial American actress. The prince and Meghan first mentioned the incident during an interview with Oprah Winfrey in 2021, but did not identify the member of the royal family who raised concerns.
Harry insisted the family is not racist, but noted the episode was an example of unconscious bias, saying the royal family needed to “learn and grow” to “be part of the solution rather than part of the problem”. was needed.
“If not, unconscious bias moves toward the category of racism,” Enrique said. He added that “especially when you are in the monarchy, you have a responsibility, and rightly so, people hold you to a higher standard than others.”
“Spare” explores Harry’s grief after his mother’s death in 1997, his long-standing resentment of his role as “spare” for royalty, the “heir” overshadowed by his older brother, Prince William. was done. It recounts arguments and a physical altercation with Guillermo, recounts how Enrique lost his virginity, and describes his use of cocaine and cannabis.
He also claimed that he killed 25 Taliban fighters when he operated an Apache attack helicopter in Afghanistan, a claim criticized by both the Taliban and British military veterans.
The “spare” is the latest in a series of public announcements by Harry and Meghan since they stepped back from their royal duties and moved to California in 2020, arguing over what they described as racist treatment of Meghan and a lack of support at the palace. Have done It comes on the heels of Winfrey’s interview and six-part Netflix docu-series that premiered last month.
In the haunting autobiography, Harry, 38, describes his acrimonious rift with the royal family after his application for part-time royal roles was turned down.
The TV interview will certainly increase the pressure on the royal family. Enrique will also appear on “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert”.
Royal officials have not commented on the allegations, although aides have denied them, but mostly anonymously.
Enrique has defended his memoir, describing it as an attempt to “own his story” after years of “twisting and distorting” it by others. In a “60 Minutes” interview, Enrique denied that his book was meant to hurt his family.
Omid Scobie, author of “Finding Freedom”, a book about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, said Harry had opened a window in the palace walls that the public had always wanted.
“Obviously it has brought some frustration to those who haven’t been a part of this journey,” Scobie told the BBC. “We heard some surprising confessions and stories about members of the royal family, especially Camilla, and her relationship with the press.”
Although Enrique said he hasn’t spoken to his father and brother in a while, he hopes to find peace with them. Enrique told ITV he wanted to reconcile with the royal family, but “the ball is in their court”.
“They have shown no willingness to reconcile,” he added.
Jill Lawless contributed to this report.