Harry also took to YouTube, saying that several videos spreading COVID-19 misinformation were left out despite violating the site’s own policies.
“And even worse, they came to users through the recommendation tool within YouTube’s own algorithm, which is exactly what the user was looking for,” he said. “It really shows it can be stopped but they didn’t want to stop. That’s because it affects their bottom line.”
Harry has become a champion against the onslaught of false information online. Earlier this year he joined the Aspen Institute, a US think tank that investigates misinformation and propaganda in the media, as a commissioner.
The royal and his wife, the Duchess of Sussex, have also spoken frequently about the media’s intrusive and racist attitudes that they say were forced to leave royal duties and move to North America in 2020.
“Misinformation is a global humanitarian crisis,” Harry said. “I’ve felt it personally over the years and now I see it happening globally.”
In his remarks on Tuesday, Harry cited a report that concluded that more than 70% of hate speech directed at his wife Meghan can be traced to fewer than 50 accounts. He said that lives are being wasted due to misinformation.
“A small set of accounts is allowed to create a huge amount of online chaos and destruction,” he said. “And without any consequence.”