LONDON (NWN) – Queen Elizabeth II reluctantly took medical advice to rest for several days and canceled a trip to Northern Ireland, Buckingham Palace said Wednesday.
The palace did not give details of the decision, but says the 95-year-old monarch is “in good spirits” and disappointed that she will no longer be able to visit Northern Ireland for engagement on Wednesday and Thursday.
“The Queen sends her warmest good wishes to the people of Northern Ireland and looks forward to visiting her in the future,” the palace says.
She is resting at Windsor Castle, where she has stayed since the COVID-19 pandemic began last year. The decision to cancel the trip was not considered to be related to COVID.
The decision came days after Elizabeth was seen with a cane at a major public event while attending a service at Westminster Abbey to celebrate the centenary of the Royal British Legion, a charitable organization for the armed forces.
She was previously photographed with a cane in 2003, but that was after knee surgery.
Elizabeth, Britain’s longest-lived and reigning monarch, is set to celebrate her 70th Anniversary Platinum Jubilee next year.
Queen widowed this year when Prince Philip died at the age of 99. In April, there is still a tight schedule of royal duties. On Tuesday, she held an audience with diplomats and hosted a reception at Windsor Castle for world business leaders.
Despite his advanced age, the monarch politely declined the honor of being named Oldie of the Year. British magazine. Oldie magazine on Tuesday published the Queen’s response to an offer to follow in the footsteps of former recipients such as actor Olivia de Havilland and artist David Hockney.
“Her Majesty believes that you are as old as you think you are, so the Queen does not believe that she meets the criteria for admission and hopes that you will find a more worthy recipient,” her assistant personal secretary said in a letter. Tom Lang-Baker. He ended the letter with “Her Majesty’s warmest wishes.”