Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Queen sprawled back, missed Sunday memorial service

LONDON (AP) – Queen Elizabeth II skipped a Sunday memorial service in London to pay tribute to the British killed in the war because she sprained her back, Buckingham Palace said Sunday.

The service is one of the most important events on the 95-year-old monarch’s calendar and was supposed to be her first public appearance after a few weeks of rest as prescribed by a doctor.

The British media reported that back sprains were not related to recent medical advice to rest, which prompted other cancellations.

“The Queen, with her back dislocated, decided with great regret this morning that she would not be able to attend today’s Sunday Memorial Service at the Cenotaph,” officials said just hours before the ceremony. “Her Majesty is disappointed that she will miss the service.”

The Queen spent the night in a London hospital last month after being admitted for medical examination. This was her first such visit in eight years. On October 29, the palace reported that doctors advised her to rest for two weeks and do only light duties.

She canceled plans to attend the UN Climate Summit in Glasgow, Scotland, but sent a video message.

But officials then stressed that the queen is “still determined” to attend the nationwide Sunday memorial service. Buckingham Palace said Thursday that the monarch plans to watch the ceremony at the Cenotaph war memorial in central London from a balcony, as she has done for several years.

The Queen served as a military driver and mechanic during World War II, and also leads the British military. She attaches great importance to the Resurrection of Remembrance – a solemn ceremony in memory of the sacrifices made by the fallen soldiers and women. The National Service, which follows Armistice Day on November 11, is traditionally celebrated by the laying on of poppies and observing the national two-minute silence at 11 a.m.

On Sunday, other royals and politicians led the ceremony in London’s Whitehall, and hundreds of military personnel and veterans lined up around the Cenotaph memorial. This was the first time the situation has returned to normal since the start of the pandemic.

After the Royal Marines’ horns voiced The Last Post, 73-year-old Prince Charles laid the first wreath on behalf of the Queen, as he has done since 2017. Other members of the royal family and Prime Minister Boris Johnson followed.

During the rest period, the queen continued to work from home, performing duties at the table. She spent most of her time at Windsor Castle west of London, although she visited Sandringham, the royal family’s estate in eastern England, over the weekend.

She missed several other events, including the Royal Albert Hall Memorial Festival on Saturday. Officials also said she would miss the opening of the Church of England general synod on Tuesday.

Penny Junor, the royal biographer, said the queen may be entering a new phase of her reign when she won’t be seen as often in public.

“This is very sad for the Queen because this is the only event of the year that she really loves to attend,” she said. “We are so used to seeing her and looking a few years younger than her that I think they put us to sleep, thinking that she could go on at this pace forever. It is clear that she cannot. “

Elizabeth, Britain’s longest-lived and reigning monarch, is set to celebrate her 70th Anniversary Platinum Jubilee next year.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -