CHICAGO – A federal judge on Wednesday ordered R&B superstar R. Kelly to stand trial in Chicago on child pornography and obstruction of justice charges next year following his conviction in an earlier trial of sex trafficking in New -York.
U.S. District Judge Harry Leinenweber appears to have wanted the Chicago trial to begin earlier, but he set it up for August 1 after one of Kelly’s attorneys, Stephen Greenberg, said another Kelly attorney would be on trial for others. business until July. …
Lawyers told the judge during a brief hearing that they estimated the trial of Kelly and co-defendants Derrell McDavid and Milton “June” Brown would last three to four weeks.
Kelly, who is still in prison in New York, listened to the hearing on the conference call, but did not speak. His sentence is set for May 4, and he faces life imprisonment.
WATCH: What does R. Kelly’s alleged culture of abuse say about how society treats black women?
Kelly, née Robert Sylvester Kelly, also faces four separate sexual assault charges in a Chicago state court and child prostitution charges in Minnesota.
Experts say there is a chance the prosecutor’s office could drop charges in state court if he gets a lengthy prison sentence in New York. But there is virtually no chance that federal charges in Chicago will be dropped.
Kelly, who has been in jail without bail since 2019, was convicted last month by a federal jury in New York on racketeering and other charges. Greenberg said Wednesday that after the trial, Kelly was taken into custody as a suicide, but that ended.