British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab visited Doha, the capital of Qatar, on Thursday to discuss the prospect of opening a safe passage for foreigners and Afghan nationals who wish to leave Afghanistan.
This visit is part of a diplomatic mission, aimed at convening regional powers to put pressure on the Taliban to fulfill their commitments to counter terrorist threats and protect human rights.
Rabu met with Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani and Qatar’s Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdul Rahman Al Thani and discussed The feasibility of having Kabul Airport built and operating and a safe passage for foreign nationals and Afghans across the land border.
At a press conference after the meeting, Qatar’s Foreign Minister stated that Qatar is negotiating with the Taliban to reopen the airport, and he is still hopeful.
“There is no clear indication of when it will be fully operational, but we are working hard and working with the Taliban to determine the gaps and risks of the airport’s resumption of operation,” he said.
“We still hope that we can operate it as soon as possible.”
Raab said at a press conference that Britain “will not recognize the Taliban at any time in the foreseeable future”, but he believes that “there is a lot of room for participation and dialogue.”
He also stated that Qatar-which has played a prominent role in Afghanistan in recent years-is the “key” to dealing with future crises, as he seeks wider support for diplomatic efforts.
“I think the most important thing is that we need to form a group to exert the greatest mitigating influence on the Taliban’s next actions. We will definitely judge them, yes, what they say, but what is more important is what they did to honor the guarantee. They have done it,” he added.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that the British Embassy in Afghanistan has temporarily moved to Doha until it can be re-established in Afghanistan.
Raab previously stated that it is difficult to know the exact number of British nationals remaining in Afghanistan, but he estimated that this number is “only a few hundred.”
The government estimates that between 800 and 1,100 Afghans who are eligible to settle in the UK under the Afghan relocation and aid policy are left behind, despite the Labor Party’s claims that the government has “seriously” underestimated this number.
On Tuesday, a former British soldier stranded in Kabul said he planned to take about 400 Afghans across the land border to a neighboring country, and called on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to help clear the diplomatic obstacles on the other side.
PA contributed to this report.
This News Originally From – The Epoch Times