Thursday, March 23, 2023

Rise in deaths of Mexican migrants trying to cross into US

San Diego. – A new report from the Mexican consulate in San Diego suggests that the number of compatriots injured or killed while trying to cross the border has increased in recent years.

Through surveillance cameras, the Border Patrol captures the way undocumented migrants jump in and risk their lives to set foot on American soil.

“They are smugglers who put ladders for immigrants to climb over the primary fence and the secondary fence,” said Angel Moreno, a spokesman for the Border Patrol.

Border Patrol Agent Angel Moreno gave us a tour of the remote area of ​​the Ote Mesa Mountains, a place that has seen countless jumps, fractures and even deaths.

“Specifically, we believe that the increase in deaths and injuries is closely related to the fact that the US government decided to increase the height of the wall from 18 to 30 feet,” said Carlos Gonzalez Gutierrez, the Mexican Consul General in San Diego.

During fiscal year 2022, 42 Mexicans were killed trying to cross the border, according to a new report from the San Diego Mexican Consulate. In 2021, 41 deaths occurred, and in 2020, 16 deaths were reported, a 162% increase over the previous three years.

“We’ve seen an increase not only in people that we rescue or that are injured or narcotics that we seize, if we’re not looking at the total number of people that are trying to enter the United States,” Moreno said. are,” Moreno said.

Statistics from the University of California at San Diego-UCSD show that at least 646 Mexican citizens were hospitalized or died while trying to achieve the American dream. Of those, only 20% were hospitalized for wall-related injuries, such as dehydration, heat stroke, among others. While the remaining 80% suffered bruises, fractures, lacerations or more severe injuries from falling from the boundary wall.

“We have evidence that these high walls have not been able to stop the flow, but they have increased the number of injuries and deaths,” Gutierrez said.

Those who would like more information or resources regarding their injured or missing family members may request assistance by calling 619-843-6399 or email: [email protected]

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Desk
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news