Diabetes shouldn’t be a reason to stop enjoying something traditional recipes with your loved ones. it Rosca de Reyes recipe it is wide sugar free and so it is perfect for diabetics, The flavor of this recipe sticks traditional mexican recipe And only a few adjustments are needed to get the desired presentation.
The curiosity to know about the following recipe is that it is not necessary whole wheat flourAlthough it is often regarded as “a healthy variety”.
Indeed, any type of flour made from grain contributes carbohydrates to a diabetic’s diet, so there is little difference in insulin if they consume one or the other. Finally, although it is a recipe without sugar, it should be considered that all wheat flour breaks down in the form of glucose when metabolized, so the consumption of this food must be controlled.
however, if you want to use whole wheat flour, you can just use all-purpose flour for this. The degree of difficulty of this recipe is medium.
You may also be interested in: 7 Cooking Tips to Make Rosca de Reyes Soft and Fluffy
Ingredients to make Rosca de Reyes without sugar
- 1/2 kg flour
- 40 g yeast
- 20 grams sweetener
- 225 ml hot milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp orange peel
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 120 grams butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 envelope of sugar free lemon flavored gelatin
- 1 envelope sugar-free strawberry flavored gelatin
- dried fruit, to taste, optional
- filleted almonds, required
- 2 cups hot water
method of preparation
- Pass 1: Dissolve yeast in half the warm milk, add four tablespoons of flour and half a teaspoon of sugar. Mix well and leave to rest in a warm place without drafts.
- Passo 2: While the yeast is active, pour the flour into a bowl or work table and make a well in the center. Add eggs, orange peel and butter to that area.
- Passo 3: Sprinkle salt on the surface of the dough outside the space you made in the center.
- Passo 4: Start integrating the ingredients from the center, and when you’ve integrated them, start adding the yeast and then the milk.
- paso 5: At first you will get a very light mixture, keep kneading for 15-20 minutes until it becomes more consistent and elastic.
- Passo 6: Let rest in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel until doubled in size.
- Passo 7: Once the dough is set, press it to release gas and make a ball.
- Passo 8: Place the bagel on a pre-greased oven tray or under waxed paper and cut a hole in the center, pushing through to give the bagel the classic shape.
- Passo 9: Let the bagel rest until it has doubled in size and brush with the pre-beaten egg.
- Passo 10: Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Passo 11: Prepare the jelly by dissolving each envelope in a cup of hot water, preferably in a large container.
- Passo 12: When the gelatin solidifies, you will form gelatin strips as if it were a tie. Keep in fridge till serving time.
- Passo 13: Before continuing to bake, garnish with dried fruit and make stripes using slivered almonds.
- Passo 14: Bake for 20-25 minutes or until rosca de reyes is golden brown. Let it cool down.
- Psalm 15: To finish, distribute sugar-free gelatin strips over the bagel as if it were a tie, or cut out circular shapes to simulate cherries. Enjoy it!
Tips to make this recipe
This recipe requires attention to a few details that you may not consider relevant but essential if you are a beginner, you will immediately find the ones you should pay more attention to:
- The amount of liquid indicated in this recipe may vary, it is recommended to add it little by little until the desired consistency is obtained.
- There are two stages to confirm the consistency of this dough, an initial stage where the dough is very sticky but not liquid, and a second where it is consistent and elastic. The dough should not be hard.
- It is important that you use warm milk, as the yeast will not be active if you use cold or warm milk.
- If you don’t want to use regular flour, you can substitute whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour.
- Avoid using candied fruits, it is advisable to use only dehydrated fruits such as figs, peaches, plums and other similar fruits that do not undergo the process of adding sugar but only lose liquid. Nevertheless, a diabetic person should reduce the amount they consume.