On Thursday at Petco Park, the Miami Marlins (12-12) begin a four-game series against the San Diego Padres (16-9) at 9:40 p.m. ET.
The Marlins are an underdog away (+103) against the Padres (-123). The San Diego Padres would give Nick Martinez (1-2, 3.10 ERA) the start of the season in search of a win over No. 2, and the Marlins would turn to Jesus Luzardo (2-1, 3.10).
The Padres lost their last game against the Guardians by a score of 6-5 yesterday. Eric Hosmer went 1-for-2 with a double and two RBIs to lead them on the offensive. Dinelson Lamette took a loss after throwing zero innings without giving up an earned run on a hit.
The Marlins lost 8-7 to the Diamondbacks yesterday. John Bertie (for 2-2 with two RBI) led aggressively, while Anthony Bender was defeated on the mound after going into an innings, conceding two earned runs on two hits. .
Before watching this Padres vs Marlins matchup, here’s what you need to know about Thursday’s action on the Diamonds.
San Diego Padres vs Miami Marlins Odds and Betting Lines
Courtesy of Major League Baseball Odds Tipico Sportsbook, Updated on Wednesday at 11:04PM ET, the odds. For a complete list of sports betting odds, access the USA Today Sports Betting Scores odds hub.
- Favorite: Padres (-123, wager $123 to win $100)
- a person or group of low caliber: Marlins (+103, wager $103 to win $100)
- over under: 7
Deposit $10, get $200 instantly: Take action on this game! Place your legal sports bets in CO and NJ on Tipico Sportsbook. Exclusive USA Today Network Offers: Deposit $10, get $200 in betting credits instantly. 21+, terms and conditions apply. Bet now!
Padres Stats & Trends
Padres Betting Records
- This season, the Padres have won 14 out of 20 games, or 70%, in which they have been preferred.
- San Diego is 12-4 this season when entering a favorite game of -123 or higher on the moneyline.
- The money line for this contest means the Padres have a 55.2% chance of winning.
- San Diego games have exceeded their total in 13 of their 26 chances.
- The Padres are 15-11-0 ATS in their 26 matches this season.
Nick Martinez (Padres potential starter)
- Martinez (1-2) will take on the mound for the Padres and make his fifth start of the season.
- The right-hander’s final performance came on Thursday, when he threw 5 2/3 innings against the Cincinnati Reds, giving away two earned runs while allowing five hits.
- The 31-year-old has pitched in four matches this season with a batting average of 4.12 ERA and 8.2 strikeouts per nine innings against .288.
- The Marlins have scored 98 runs this season, ranking 16th in MLB. He has 189 hits, 13th in baseball, with 21 home runs (15th in the league).
Padres batting stats
- The Padres’ 22 home runs rank 13th in Major League Baseball.
- The Padres’ offense has a sluggish percentage of .368 this season, 18th in MLB.
- San Diego’s .228 batting average ranks 18th in the league this season.
- The Padres have scored the most (119) runs in baseball so far this year.
- San Diego is one of the best in the league, finishing fourth with an OBP of .325.
- The Padres rank 22nd among MLB offenses in strikeouts per game (8.6).
Marlin Stats & Trends
Marlins Betting Records
- The Marlins have been selected as underdogs in 11 games this year and have won those games five times (45.5%).
- Miami has a win-loss record of 4–4, when endorsed by Sportsbook for +103 or worse this year.
- The moneyline determined for this matchup means that the Marlins have a 49.3% chance of coming out with a win in the competition.
- Miami and their opponents have hit overs in 11 of their 24 matches this season with a total set of oddsmakers.
- The Marlins have a 12-12-0 record against the spread this season.
Jesus Luzardo (Marlins potential starter)
- Luzardo (2-1) takes the first mound for the Marlins in his fifth start of the season. He has put together a 3.10 ERA in 20 1/3 innings, with 28 strikeouts.
- His most recent appearance was against the Seattle Mariners on Saturday, when the left-hander played 6 2/3 innings, surrendering an earned run while giving away two hits.
- The 24-year-old has an ERA of 3.10 with 12.4 strikes per nine innings in four matches this season. Opponents are hitting .178 against them.
- Luzardo is trying to secure the start of its second quality of the year.
- Luzardo would like to pitch five or more innings to extend his three-game streak (he averages 5.0 frames per outing).
- They will face a Padres squad that is batting. 228 as a unit (18th in MLB). They are also trailing the collective .368 (18th in the league) with a total of 22 runs (13th in MLB play).
Marlins Batting Stats
- The Marlins are ranked 15th in MLB action with a total of 21 home runs.
- So far this year, the Marlins’ .377 slugging percentage ranks 13th in baseball.
- Miami’s .237 batting average ranks 12th in the league.
- At an average of 4.1 runs per game (98 total), the Marlins are the 16th highest scoring team in MLB play.
- Miami’s .325 base percentage is the fourth best in baseball.
- Marlins batsmen strike out 9.3 times per game, the 26th most in the league.
Place your legal, online sports bets in CO & NJ at Tipico Sportsbook.
Gannett can earn revenue from Tipico for referral of spectators to betting services. Tipico has no influence on or is dependent on or associated with any such revenue from newsrooms or news coverage. For Terms and Conditions visit Tipico.com. 21+ only. problem Yok? Call 1-800-GAMMER (NJ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA).