In the course of our lives we are taught expect, appreciate and think of others However, sometimes we forget to do the same for the person who should be most important: ourselves. Cultivating self-love may seem easy, but like any other relationship, it must be cultivated daily in order for it to grow and last.
Otherwise, according to the Mayo Clinic, low self-esteem affects almost every aspect of life. This can have an impact on relationships, work and health. For many years, mental health specialists have undertaken the task of finding the best tools to develop self-love. Below is revealed 5 techniques to love yourself according to Promethea, a psychology center made up of professional therapists in Granada, Spain.
5 techniques to love yourself
1. Analyze how you talk to yourself: It is true that we all make mistakes, which make us sad or guilty; However, this is no reason to talk to us or treat us badly. We must be careful with the words we say to ourselves. The Spanish center recommends stopping to see what your mind says about us, and to be more aware, write down those expressions in a notebook.
2. Change the internal dialogue: Observe what you say to yourself, analyze what emotions you feel: shame, pain, guilt. Do you think someone who feels any of these ways has the motivation to change and improve their life? If the answer is no, ask yourself: how would you communicate with this person if you feel that you have not done things right?
3. Describe how you see yourself: Identify and describe your strengths and weaknesses in different areas of your life (academic/professional, social, personal, physical, emotional, etc.). There are times when we forget how capable we are of any situation.
4. Take on new challenges: The mental health specialist center recommends not settling for what you already have. Each week, think of something new that you want to expose yourself to, not necessarily many goals. First, identify the obstacles that prevent you from doing this and find ways to overcome them. Run a few meters, lose or gain a few grams of weight (as long as you find that goal), read 1 more page or finish pending tasks.
5. Allow praise: Don’t dismiss someone who appreciates something about you, appreciate and pay attention to what they say, because it could be a quality you didn’t know you had.