A civil suit filed in a US court by a woman who says she was sexually assaulted by Britain’s Prince Andrew when she was 17 years old will go ahead following a judge’s ruling on Wednesday.
US District Judge Lewis Kaplan said Prince Andrew’s lawyers failed to challenge the constitutionality of the case brought by Virginia Giuffre in August. Andrew’s lawyers had also argued that the allegations were vague.
Kaplan wrote, “Gifrey’s complaint is neither ‘sensible’ nor ‘vague’ nor ‘vague’. It alleges discrete incidents of sexual abuse under particular circumstances at three identifiable locations. It recognizes that To whom does it attribute the sexual abuse.”
Andrew’s lawyers also attempted to dismiss the lawsuit, arguing that it violates a confidentiality agreement Jiffrey reached in 2009 with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Earlier this month, the settlement was closed and it was revealed that Epstein paid Giuffre $500,000, in exchange for dropping the case without admitting fault. In the settlement, she agreed to “resume, release, acquit, satisfy and discharge in perpetuity” the parties and “any other person or entity that may have been included as a potential defendant”.
Andrew was not specifically mentioned.
Giuffre claims she was trafficked by Epstein and his longtime partner, Ghislaine Maxwell, who was recently convicted of sex trafficking.
Giuffre says that the two forced her to have sex with Andrew.
Andrew denied the allegations.
In 2019, Epstein was found dead in a Manhattan prison while he awaits another trial for sex trafficking. His death was ruled a suicide.
Neither Andrew nor Buckingham Palace’s lawyers have commented on Wednesday’s decision.
Some of the information in this report comes from the Associated Press.