Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Some 22,000 migrants are waiting in shelters and temporary camps in three cities in Mexico for Title 42 to lift

(CNN) — City officials and migrant advocates told CNN on Monday that some 22,000 migrants are sleeping in shelters, on the streets and in temporary camps in three cities in northern Mexico.

That number is expected to rise as Title 42, a pandemic-era law that allows US border agents to immediately turn away immigrants who cross the southern border illegally in the name of preventing Covid-19, remains in legal limbo. Meanwhile, thousands of migrants headed to border cities are making the decision to wait out the Trump-era pandemic policy or enter the United States illegally.

About 9,000 migrants live in shelters, homes and other areas in Tijuana, Mexico, near San Diego, California, according to Tijuana’s director of immigration affairs, Enrique Lucero. About 60% of the migrants in Tijuana are Mexicans who migrated from the states of Michoacán, Guerrero, Veracruz and Oaxaca. Meanwhile, according to Lucero, the remaining 40% are from Haiti, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador and Venezuela.

Migrants hoping to apply for asylum in the United States gather to find out when they can sign up to potentially be called up for prosecution in Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico on December 22, 2022 Huh. (Photo – Veronica G. Cardenas/AFP via Getty Images)

About 8,000 migrants are in Reynosa, Mexico, according to Pastor Hector Silva, who runs one of the major shelters in the region, and about 5,000 migrants are living in Matamoros, Glady Edith Cañas, who runs Ayudondoles Triunfer, a non-profit organization. told CNN. in that city. Reynosa and Matamoros are located across the border from the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas.

Most migrants in Matamoros are from Venezuela, but there are also migrants from Colombia, Haiti, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Ecuador and other parts of Mexico, Cañas said, adding that the number of migrants in that city had increased in the past week. From about 2,000 to about 5,000 during.

Last week, a CNN team in Brownsville, Texas, captured drone footage of migrants crossing the Rio Grande from Matamoros to Brownsville as a large federal and state law enforcement presence was seen from US shores by the river.

In Ciudad Juarez, Mexico – where last Tuesday CNN filmed the Texas National Guard building a barbed wire border fence near El Paso to prevent migrants from crossing into the US and captured footage of long queues of migrants Be seen as they endured freezing temperatures and made headlines across the country. —It is not clear how many migrants are currently waiting in 23 shelters in the area and one camp near the Rio Grande, according to Santiago Gonzalez Reyes, head of the city’s human rights division.

“Given that we are a transit city, it is difficult to have a concrete figure; Many migrants come by air, land, cars and buses. “We have no idea how many migrants are in Juarez right now,” Gonzalez Reyes told CNN.

Asylum seekers are processed by US Customs and Border Patrol agents at a span of the US-Mexico border fence in anticipation of the lifting of Title 42, a security-era policy that barred migrants from entering the US (photo ) by Rebecca Noble / AFP) (Photo by Rebecca Noble / AFP via Getty Images)

The National Guard builds a fence to block the passage of migrants

The Texas National Guard has put up more than two miles of fencing since putting up the first mere border fencing in the El Paso area last week. A spokesman for the Texas National Guard told CNN on Monday that more fencing is expected.

A group of migrants in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico, who are waiting for Title 42 to be lifted, told CNN they’ve seen the fence going up over the past three days.

From Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, along the border, guard members and Humvees can be seen, as well as dozens of migrants lined up to turn themselves in before border officials.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news