Friday, March 31, 2023

Sources: Police officer dies 3 days after being shot during robbery in Brooklyn

NEW YORK — The 26-year-old NYPD officer who was killed in a robbery in Brooklyn over the weekend has died, multiple law enforcement sources told NBC New York, a day after the suspect in the shooting was arrested. ,

Adid Fayaz, a father of two, died Tuesday night, hours after New York Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell announced the arrest of 38-year-old Randy Jones. Authorities said Jones was handcuffed by an NYPD detective assigned to the US Marshals Regional Task Force and taken into police custody by Fayaz’s own wives.

“We wanted him to know what he did to that officer and he was handcuffed,” said New York Police Chief James Essig. “I think it sends a powerful message.”

Fayaz was taken off the life support system earlier in the day and will be shifted to the mortuary later on Tuesday night.

Police said Jones, of New York City, was arrested Monday night at the Rockland County Days Inn, having fled there with his girlfriend and five young children after Saturday night’s shooting. Essig said Jones was extradited to Brooklyn late Monday and is expected to face charges in the Fayez case Tuesday afternoon. Investigators said he demanded a lawyer after being taken into custody.

According to Essig, the officer arranged to buy a Honda Pilot in Brooklyn for $24,000 on Facebook Marketplace. She initially planned to visit the outlet with her brother-in-law on Friday night, but it was postponed to Saturday. They rode together in the brother-in-law’s vehicle to a McDonald’s on Ruby Street.

Essig said the couple was greeted by a man in a black jacket with a beard and mustache, who escorted them to a driveway and jokingly asked if either of them was carrying a gun. They both said no, at which point Essig said Jones put Faiyaz in a headlock, demanded $24,000 and when Faiyaz said he didn’t have a gun, he pointed a gun at the brother-in-law.

Fayaz managed to free himself from the headlock, Essig said, and the gun went off. Jones allegedly continued to fire at the brothers as they fled. Devar took out Fayaz’s gun from the holster and fired at least six times. Jones got into a pickup truck and left, Essig said. Fayaz got injured in the commotion.

Video from the dash cam of the brother-in-law’s SUV helped investigators identify the fleeing SUV and track down the driver. Essig said that at about 8:10 p.m. Saturday night, after the shooting, the black vehicle stopped in a Department of Sanitation lot on Park Avenue and the same man got out. He was later seen leaving in another vehicle along with a woman and five children. This was the vehicle that investigators tracked to the Days Inn in Nanuet, where Jones was arrested.

The girlfriend was questioned but is not expected to be charged in the matter. Five children in the room, aged between 6 months and 11 years, were handed over to them. Essig said charges are pending against Jones, who is the subject of an ongoing search warrant.

No other details were provided.

Investigators are also looking into whether Saturday’s case could be part of a pattern.

Mayor Eric Adams said Fayaz has been on the patrol for five years.

“There are too many illegal guns in the hands of bad people doing bad things,” the mayor said. “I talked to the officer’s wife, I saw her beautiful children. We are all lifting your family up in prayers. We will catch the person responsible for this.”

Study Update.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Desk
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news