Friday, September 30, 2022

South Africa begins flood relief for Durban; 443 died.

JOHANNESBURG ( Associated Press) – South Africa has allocated $ 67 million to flood victims in the eastern city of Durban and in the neighboring province of KwaZulu-Natal, declaring a state of emergency.

Nearly 4,000 homes were destroyed by heavy rains, and more than 40,000 people were displaced, state officials said on Tuesday. More than 400 people have been killed and nearly 600 schools have been damaged by an estimated $ 28 million, officials say.

The South African Army has deployed 10,000 troops in operations to deliver food, water and clothing to flood victims, assist in search and rescue operations, and rebuild damaged roads and bridges. Water tanks have been sent to areas where drinking water supply has been disrupted and teams are working to restore electricity to large areas.

South African President Cyril Ramophosa, who visited some of the flood-hit areas last week, said it was the heaviest rainfall in the world for at least 60 years. In a televised address on Monday night, he promised the government would not waste money on flood victims.

“There is no room for corruption, mismanagement or fraud,” Ramaphosa said.

“We are mobilizing various stakeholders to be part of the monitoring framework to ensure that all funds used to respond to this disaster are properly managed and that the state is financially viable.” He said.

Ramaphosa’s comments came after a large-scale theft of state funds by the state’s Special Investigation Unit, which he said would help the country respond to the Covand-19 pandemic. Former Health Minister Zweli McHeith has resigned after his department found that businesses affiliated with their families benefited from the contracted CV-19 contracts.

Despite Ramaphosa’s promise, many South Africans are skeptical that government funding for flood relief will not change. Many businesses, prominent South Africans, and charities have lent money to private companies.

Ramaphosa’s father-in-law, South African businessman Patris Motsepe, has donated nearly $ 2 million to the South African-based Gift of the Guardians. The University of Johannesburg, for its part, said it would donate the money directly to donors.

South African-born Hollywood actress Charlie Theron has applied for flood relief through her Africa Network project.

South Africa has been in a state of emergency since March 2020 at Covide-19, but has now returned to the aftermath of the Durban floods.

.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -