Pachuca, May 14.- Accidents rank 9th among the 10 leading causes of death in our country, with 2,111 deaths resulting from falls, and by age group, they are the 8th and 10th leading causes among older people. The highest percentage of falls among this population occur at home, with over 50% recorded.
Therefore, the Hidalgo Secretariat of Health (SSH), through its Accident Prevention Program for Vulnerable Groups, conducts awareness actions so that people know and reinforce preventive measures within their homes, to avoid falls in older people .
Among the recommendations are:
- do physical activity, as it is the main way to maintain muscle strength, coordination and stability of the body
- eat properly
- address and keep previous health problems under control, for example, diabetes or high blood pressure
- Embrace the environment Install grab bars in bathrooms and showers Avoid rugs and carpets Remove loose cables on the floor Arrange furniture neatly Install anti-slip materials on stairs, corridors and shower area Living space maintain good lighting
- use the right aids to help you walk, such as canes and walkers, as well as comfortable shoes with non-slip soles
- avoid self-medication
- Avoid alcohol and drug use
should should not:
- stop caring about falling
- downplaying the fall and not telling anyone
- it’s normal to stumble and fall
- Believing that accidents and falls will happen because you are an older person
In case of a fall, go to your health facility immediately to avoid any damage or complications.
It is important to mention that falls are involuntary events that make you lose balance and hit the body on the ground or any other firm surface that prevents it, they are complex events that can happen at different places and at any time and There are no “expected” events. Let something “normal” happen in the elderly, which can lead to death or physical and psychological consequences.