Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Sudanese rally against new coup amid tight security | Nation World News

Cairo ( Associated Press) – Sudanese security forces fired tear gas to disperse protesters in Khartoum on Saturday, as protesters once again took to the streets to condemn the October military coup in the country’s capital and elsewhere.

Thousands of people rallied earlier in the day, even as authorities tightened security in Khartoum, deployed troops and closed all bridges over the Nile, state-run SUNA news agency reported. Karya, connecting the capital with its twin cities Omdurman and Bahri District.

Authorities warned protesters against approaching “sovereign and strategic” sites in central Khartoum – a reference to main government buildings and major institutions. The city’s security committee said the Sudanese military “will deal with chaos and violations,” had been heard.

The marches started at different places from where the protesters were about to gather at the Rashtrapati Bhavan. Activist Nazim Sirag said security forces used tear gas to disperse people trying to approach the palace. There were no immediate reports of injuries.

Rallies were also going on in other cities including Wad Madani and Atbara.

Read Also:  Explainer: why is Europe shying away from imposing sanctions on Russian energy?

Last weekend, security forces violently dispersed protesters when they attempted to stage a sit-in near Rashtrapati Bhavan. At least three protesters were killed and more than 300 were injured on Sunday. There were also allegations of sexual violence, including rape and gang rape. According to the United Nations, by security forces against women protesters.

UN Special Envoy for Sudan Volker Perth urged security forces to “protect” the planned protests and refrain from arresting only those willing to take part in the demonstrations.

“Freedom of expression is a human right. This includes full access to the Internet. No one should be arrested with the intention of protesting peacefully,” he said in a Twitter post.

Ahead of the demonstrations on Saturday, activists reported disruptions in Internet access over the phone in Khartoum, a tactic used by generals when they seized power on October 25.

Advocacy group Netblox said Sudan was experiencing mobile Internet disruption early Saturday. “The mechanism appears similar or similar to that used during the post-coup blackout of October,” group director Alp Toker told the Associated Press.

Read Also:  The flag of the European Union wraps the coffin of Sassoli, the head of the bloc's parliament. Nation World News

The government did not comment on the disruptions.

The October military takeover precipitated a delicately planned transition to democratic rule and led to continuous street demonstrations in Sudan. At least 47 people have been killed and hundreds injured in protests triggered by the coup, according to data from a Sudanese medical group.

Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok, a former United Nations official seen as the civilian face of Sudan’s transitional government, was reinstated last month amid international pressure in a deal that would put an independent technical authority under military oversight under his leadership. Cabinet demands.

However, that deal was rejected by the pro-democracy movement, which insists that power be passed entirely to the civilian government, tasked with leading the transition.

The Prime Minister is constantly deliberating on finding a way out of the political deadlock. His office said he met leaders of the country’s largest Ummah party on Friday.

,

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -